Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

This Was Brainerd - Sept. 12

SEPTEMBER 12

  • 20 years ago (1998)

The former owner of T Juan's Restaurant in Baxter has been charged in a shooting death in Onamia. He was drinking at a bar with a man and woman, left, then returned with a gun and shot the man. He then shot and wounded the woman. He was arrested after he crashed following a police chase.

  • 30 years ago (1988)

Don Zitur had never won the club championship at Brainerd Golf Course before. But a win in the Shortstop Tourney three weeks ago signaled this might be his time. Zitur and 1982 club champ Rick Harms were deadlocked at 72 after 18 holes, but Zitur took the final nine holes by one shot.

  • 40 years ago (1978)

School enrollment here dropped by 189 students since last year, from 7,212 to 7,023. Factoring out Brainerd Vo-Tech and the State Hospital, attendance was down from 6,306 to 6,193. Supt. Elliot Whoolery expects the senior high to drop for the next four years.

  • 60 years ago (1958)

Sept. 14 will mark the culmination of several years of planning and a year of building as Trinity Lutheran Church holds its first service in its new building on S. 6th Street. Kermit Graves is the pastor of the $350,000 facility located on an 11-acre site.

  • 80 years ago (1938)

Voters of the Brainerd school district will go to the polls Sept. 16 to decide whether $170,000 in bonds are to be issued for construction of the Whittier and Harrison schools. That represents 55 percent of the total cost, with the other 45 percent already approved by the PWA.

  • 100 years ago (1918)

Death is taking its toll on our county boys in the war. Sherman Joy of Crow Wing Township was wounded in the spring, then returned to action and was killed by a shell. Pvt. Carl Newgard was drafted a year ago. He went missing Aug. 6. Corp. Charles Rounds of Pine River has been reported killed.