Baxter police to host regional canine field trials
BAXTER - The Baxter Police Department will host the United States Police Canine Association (USPCA) Region 12 annual Canine Field Trials Sunday through Tuesday.
The trials are a compilation of events in which police canine teams demonstrate their ability to work effectively and safely as a team. At the trials, 75 to 90 canine teams from Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota and Manitoba, Canada, will enter to receive their certification.
Each year an agency from within the region hosts the trials.
The trial events are free and open to the general public.
The Baxter Police Department will host a Public Canine Demonstration at 6:30 p.m. Sunday at the Stewart Mills baseball field on Mill Avenue in Brainerd. K-9 squads will leave the Arrowwood Lodge in Baxter at 6 p.m. Sunday and will parade through Baxter and Brainerd to the baseball field. The public demo will consist of numerous K-9 activities along with a Crow Wing County Tactical Response Team demonstration.
Monday trials will be held at the following:
• Obedience trial at Southdale Park soccer fields in Baxter.
• Agility trial at Oscar Kristofferson Park in Baxter.
• Suspect search at Forestview Middle School in Baxter
Tuesday's trials will be held at the following:
• Apprehension at Southdale Park in Baxter
• Apprehension with gunfire at Forestview. Police report that they use gun blanks and the public will hear an occasional gunfire.