Weather Forecast



Question: A friend of mine said that if I put a slow moving vehicle (SMV) sign on my off-road vehicle (ORV), and purchase the agricultural registration for it, that it becomes an implement of husbandry, and then I can legally drive it on the road. Is this true?

Answer: I wrote about this a few years ago so it’s about time I did again. The short answer is no. Placing a SMV sign on something does not make it an implement of husbandry, and you still would not be able to drive it on the road. People would be putting them on just about everything. There are specific and separate statutes for All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV), ORV and the like. None of them fit the legal definition of an implement of husbandry (with or without the SMV sign).

The laws are different for each type of vehicle, and you should know what those laws are before you purchase the unit of your choice. Each type of unit has its own statutory definition, and the laws for each are too extensive to list here in an article like this one.

To avoid the possibility of multiple charges against you when operating any of these types of units, I strongly recommend reading up on the current law on these types of vehicles before you purchase one, so you will have a clear understanding of where you can and cannot ride or drive them, as well as all of the operating rules and laws associated with them.

Youthful operators seem to pose one of the biggest hazards for any of these types of units. Parents need to make sure their kids are safe and legal, and that they respect the law and the property of others! The use of these vehicles is very limited. Complaints against the operators are frequent, and are seemingly justified. I hope this information helps.