Weather Forecast


Fire damages apartment

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
News Brainerd,MN 56401
Brainerd Dispatch
customer support
Fire damages apartment
Brainerd MN 506 James St. / PO Box 974 56401

A fire, caused by careless smoking, damaged an apartment in a triplex Monday afternoon on the 500 block of Grove Street, Brainerd Fire Chief Kevin Stunek said.


Brainerd firefighters were called to the apartment about 12:50 p.m. after smoke was reported.

Stunek said three adults and a child live in the apartment. One of the residents and the child were at home at the time, Stunek said. The resident could see and smell smoke, felt a bedroom door and found it was hot. She then left the apartment with a child, Stunek said.

No injuries were reported to any residents. A firefighter was checked out by North Ambulance after slipping on the ice and twisting an ankle, Stunek said.

Stunek said the bedroom was scorched and the rest of the apartment sustained smoke damage, rendering it uninhabitable. He estimated there was $45,000 in damage.

There was no damage to the other apartments in the triplex, Stunek said, and those residents have been allowed back in.

MATT ERICKSON may be reached at matt.erickson@ or 855-5857.

Denton (Denny) Newman Jr.
I've worked at the Brainerd Dispatch with various duties since Dec. 7, 1983. Starting off as an Ad Designer and currently Director of Audience Development. The Dispatch has been an interesting and challenging place to work. I'm fortunate to have made many friends, both co-workers and customers.
(218) 855-5889