Local news briefs — Mar. 25
Northern Pines Board to meet Friday
LITTLE FALLS — The Northern Pines Board will meet at 10 a.m. Friday at the Northern Pines Office in Little Falls.
Former Miss Pequot Lakes royalty sought
PEQUOT LAKES —Organizers of the revived Miss Pequot Lakes Scholarship Pageant are looking for former Miss Pequot Lakes queen and princess royalty to be part of the 2011 program scheduled April 16 in the Pequot Lakes High School auditorium.
Former royalty interested in participating should contact Kimberly Ziesemer at email@example.com or 851-2764.
Shayna Rudlang, 2005 Miss Pequot Lakes, will crown the new queen. The last Miss Pequot Lakes Pageant was held in 2005.
Seven candidates will participate in the 2011 Miss Pequot Lakes pageant.
Brainerd Community Ed classes available
Brainerd Community Education still has classes that are available to take in March and April by calling 454-6924 or online at www.isd181.org.
• Homebrewing 101, 7-10 p.m. Thursday, Patrick Sundberg to introduce equipment, ingredients and techniques to brew your own craft-style beer, cost is $35.
• Awesome Abs with Tamilu Smith, 9 a.m. or 5 p.m. Tuesday and Thursdays or 4 p.m. or 5 p.m. Monday and Wednesday in April and May, $24 per month held at Washington Educational Services Building.
• Core Rhythms with Tamilu Smith meets 6-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday or 6-7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, $24 per month, Washington Educational Services Building.
• Defensive Driving Refresher with Curt Mowers, 5:30-9:30 p.m. April 7, Forestview Middle School, $25.
• Table Top Scaping with Sharon Carlson, 6:30-8 p.m., April 7, participants will learn easy and affordable ways to dress up their table. Carlson will be serving one of her signature desserts, $10.
• Iris Paper Folding with Linda Marsh, 6:30-8:30 p.m. April 7, students to make Iris folded frames for photos and greeting cards or scrapbooks, $12.
• Instant Piano, 7-9:45 p.m. April 7, $20.
• Spring Cleaning using the Feng Shui method with Brenni Larson, 6:30-8:30 p.m. April 7, $25.
• MS Excel Intermediate, 6-9 p.m. April 4, $40.
Presentation, book signing set April 12 at arboretum
Wild Ones Natural Landscapers, Brainerd Chapter, and the Northland Arboretum will be hosting a presentation titled Bringing Nature’s Beauty Into Your Shady Garden at 6:30 p.m. on April 12 at Northland Arboretum, 14250 Conservation Dr. in Baxter.
The featured speaker will be Clayton Oslund, founder of the Shady Oaks Nursery in Waseca and educator for more than 25 years. Oslund will be providing tips on how to incorporate native wildflowers into your garden.
Oslund will share his many years of experience as well as the newly released third edition of his book “What’s Doin’ the Bloomin’?”, which will be available for purchase and signing.
The book signing will start at 6:30 p.m. and Oslund’s presentation will start at 7 p.m. Admission is $2 for Wild Ones members and $5 for all other attendees. Refreshments will be provided and a free copy of Clayton’s “Hawaiian Gardens” book will be given to all attendees.
For more information contact Beth Hippert at (218) 330-2578 or Reed Larson at (218) 839-6387.
Brainerd Parks and Recreation Board meets Monday
The Brainerd Parks and Recreation Boad will meet at 4:30 p.m. in the council chambers of at Brainerd City Hall.
Family History Conference set for April 30 in Little Falls
LITTLE FALLS — Tthe Morrison County Genealogy Society will sponsor a Family History Conference called “Finding Your Hidden Past.”
The genealogy conference will be conducted from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. April 30, at the Initiative Foundation in Little Falls.
There will be three learning sessions: Tracing Your Immigrant Ancestors Online, The German Connection: How to Track Down Your German Immigrant Ancestor, and Genealogy Hacks: Tricks to Crack the Top Genealogy Websites.
The conference speaker is Rick Crume, a contributing editor for Family Tree Magazine, published author of many national genealogical periodicals and journals, and the author of the book “Plugging Into Your Past: How to Find Real Family History Records Online.” Rick specializes in online research, genealogy software and British genealogy.
The cost of the conference is $25 and includes a box lunch, prizes, handouts, displays, genealogy information, and just about everything a family historian/genealogist needs.
Space is limited. Pre-registration recommended and required for lunch by April 25. Interested persons are encouraged to mail their registration as soon as possible. For further information and a registration form, interested persons may contact John Lauer at (320) 632-2375 or online at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Utilities commission to meet Tuesday
The Brainerd Public Utilities Commission will meet at 9 a.m. Tuesday in the commission meeting room at the BPU Service Center, 8027 Highland Scenic Road.
Planning workshop set for Tuesday
The Brainerd Planning Commission will meet in a workshop at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in the conference room at Brainerd City Hall to discuss the proposed zoning map.