Weather Forecast


Baxter man arrested for threat to detox staff

Kenneth Richey, the Baxter man freed from death row in Ohio and who later was accused of assaulting his son at their Baxter home, was arrested this weekend after it was reported he threatened staff at Crow Wing County Detox.

At 8:58 p.m. Saturday the Baxter Police officers said they transported an intoxicated Kenneth Richey from a residence on the 10000 block of Cherrywood Drive to the detox center, 1799 Highway 18 in Brainerd. 

Later, police were called back to detox after Richey allegedly threatened staff at the center. He was arrested for felony terroristic threats, misdemeanor disorderly conduct and misdemeanor obstructing the legal process. The Brainerd Police Department assisted with the arrest.

Kenneth Richey, 46, is being held in the Crow Wing County Jail pending formal charges from the Crow Wing County Attorney’s office. 

On Friday, police also were called to Richey’s residence on the 10000 block of Cherrywood Drive for a report of a verbal altercation between Richey and his 25-year-old son. His son left the residence for the evening and no other police action was taken.

In January of 2010 Richey was arrested and charged with felony second-degree assault, felony terroristic threats and misdemeanor domestic assault for allegedly assaulting his 25-year-old at their Baxter home. 

Richey’s trial on those charges was scheduled to begin in January, but the court recently dismissed the case without prejudice, allowing prosecutors to recharge the case later under the statute of limitations. 

Richey earlier was freed from prison after spending more than 20 years on death row in Ohio. In that case, Richey was convicted of setting a fire in 1986 that killed a 2-year-old girl. He stayed on death row until a federal appeals court determined in August of 2007 that his lawyers mishandled his case.

The state of Ohio was set to try him again and seek another death sentence. Instead, Kenneth Richey pleaded no contest to the state’s charges accusing him of telling the toddler’s mother he would baby-sit the girl, but failing to do so and leaving her in harm’s way.

The deal let Kenneth Richey, a U.S.-British citizen, go home to Scotland without admitting that he had anything to do with the fire. It isn’t known when Kenneth Richey returned to the U.S. 

Becca Clemens
After graduating high school in 2004, I attended Central Lakes College in Staples, MN for 2 years where I got a diploma in Communication Art and Design. I then transfered up to Bemidji State University in, you guessed it, Bemidji, MN. In the spring of 2009, I graduated from BSU. Then in the fall of 2009 I got a job at Echo Publishing, a sister company to the Brainerd Dispatch.