Small fire causes college students to miss first concert
NISSWA — A music class of about 30 students from North Hennepin Community College in Brooklyn Park had an unexpected delay Thursday that caused them to miss their 11 a.m. concert at a music festival at Breezy Point Resort.
The students were traveling to Breezy Point on a Northfield Lines Inc. bus when the driver saw smoke from behind the bus and pulled over, Karla Miller, vocal director at NHCC, said while waiting outside with the students in the ditch along Highway 371 in Nisswa.
Nisswa Fire Chief Richard Geike said that when firefighters arrived at the scene just after 10 a.m., the back passenger-side tire was on fire and smoking. Geike said the wheel bearing overheated; the fire was put out with a fire extinguisher.
Students waited patiently in the ditch with their music equipment for another bus to pick them up. By around 11 a.m., the students and instructor were on their way to Breezy Point on a Reichert Bus.
Nisswa Police and Crow Wing County Sheriff assisted at the scene.