Historic Garrison Concourse dedication Nov. 22
GARRISON — A re-opening of the historic Garrison Concourse will be celebrated with a flag-raising ceremony at 10 a.m. Nov. 22, the Minnesota Department of Transportation reported.
Officials from MnDOT, Crow Wing County and Garrison city are expected to attend at the newly restored Garrison Concourse Overlook Wall on Highway 169 on the northwest shore of Mille Lacs Lake.
The historic rehabilitation overlook wall began in May of 2011 following a fall 2010 salvage operation which retrieved rock from the wall that had fallen into Mille Lacs Lake over the years. Historic masonry specialists restored the wall using the salvaged rock as well as a small number of new granite stones matching what was used when the concourse was originally constructed in 1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps.
The project received a combination of state and federal funding, including money from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
In May 2010, the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota listed the Garrison Concourse as one of the state’s 10 Most Endangered Historic Places. It was also designated one of the 10 Most Endangered Roadside Places by the Society for Commercial Archeology, which also includes sites along Route 66.