Baxter family considered lucky after fire
The Baxter family that discovered a fire in their master bedroom Sunday night are considered lucky.
Brainerd Fire Chief Kevin Stunek said Monday if the fire at the home rented by Paul and Tracy Bartholomaus would have been in the middle of the night or if their fire alarms were not working properly, the outcome could have been deadlier as the couple and three of their four children, ages 3 to 16, were at home during the incident.
Firefighters were called at 8:53 p.m. Sunday to the Baxter home at 13920 Grand Oaks Drive. Stunek said firefighters were at the scene until about 11:26 p.m.
Stunek said the fire was contained to the second floor bedroom and the estimated damage is around $40,000 to $50,000.
Stunek praised the family for the way they handled the fire. He said they did the right thing when their attempt to fight the blaze with a fire extinguisher failed, by calling the fire department.
The fire department had a busy holiday weekend, beginning at 5:06 p.m. Thursday to the area in front of the North Star Apartments where it assisted North Ambulance with a vehicle accident. On Saturday, firefighters were called at 5:40 p.m. to 2762 Lennox Road in Fort Ripley for an attic fire. The department assisted North Ambulance with another vehicle accident at 6:27 p.m. Saturday at 215 Southwest Fourth Street.
On Sunday, firefighters were called at 3:13 p.m. to 11300 Arlington Avenue for a possible garage fire and then at 7:22 p.m. to 13934 Grand Oaks Drive for a carbon monoxide check.
JENNIFER STOCKINGER may be reached at email@example.com or 855-5851.