Weather Forecast


Rural Pequot Lakes man burned in house fire

PEQUOT LAKES — A rural Pequot Lakes man was injured in a house fire early Sunday morning, a blaze believed to have been caused by unattended food cooking in the kitchen.

Pequot Lakes Fire Chief Tom Nelson said firefighters responded at 12:40 a.m. Sunday to a house fire at the home of James Walcott, located off 21st Avenue Southwest in Maple Township in Cass County. Nelson said Walcott woke up to his house on fire and was forced to run through fire as he exited a back door through the kitchen, causing his injuries.

Walcott was able to dial 911 when he got out of the home. His dog died in the blaze.

“He woke up to the house on fire and he ran out of the house as quick as he could,” Nelson said. “As he was running out he had to run through some fire.”

Walcott was transported to Lakewood Health System in Staples and then transferred to the Dwan Burn Unit at Essentia Health-Duluth where he was listed Tuesday in good condition. Nelson said the fire originated in the kitchen; the likely cause was unattended food being cooked in the kitchen. Firefighters didn’t notice any smoke detectors in the home, Nelson said. While the house remains standing, Nelson said the home was gutted.

Pequot Lakes firefighters were assisted at the scene by fire departments from Crosslake, Ideal, Nisswa and Pine River.