Agendas- Jan. 15
Brainerd City Council
Meets 7:30 p.m. Tuesday
Brainerd City Hall
1. Call to order.
2. Roll call.
3. Pledge of Allegiance.
4. Consent Calendar (NOTICE TO PUBLIC) – All matters listed are considered routine by the Council and will all be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless good cause is shown prior to the time the Council votes on the motion to adopt by roll call.
A. Approval of the minutes of the regular meeting held on Jan. 3 as distributed.
B. Approval of Licenses – Recommended by City Administrator Vogt.
1. Contractor’s Licenses – 19 – Renewals.
C. Department Reports.
1. Mayor’s report of activities distributed to Council.
2. Police Chief’s report of activities distributed to Mayor and Council.
3. Finance Director’s report distributed to Mayor and Council.
4. City Attorney’s Quarterly Report distributed to Mayor and Council.
D. Minnesota Lawful Gambling Application for Exempt Permit – Submitted by the Brainerd Area Amateur Radio Club for a raffle to be held on April 14 at the Brainerd Armory, 1115 Wright Street, Brainerd – Approval of.
E. Minnesota Lawful Gambling Application for Exempt Permit – Submitted by Turn in Poachers (TIP) for a raffle to be held on March 2 at The Old Waterfall, 18512 HWY 371, Brainerd – Approval of.
F. Minnesota Lawful Gambling Application for Exempt Permit – Submitted by Brainerd Lakes Chapter of Muskies, Inc. for a raffle to be held on March 3 at the Brainerd Armory, 1115 Wright Street, Brainerd – Approval of.
G. BLAEDC Agreement for 2012 – Budgeted Item.
5. Approval of bills and transfer of funds – Recommended by the Personnel and Finance Committee.
6. “Showcasing Brainerd” – Wausau Paper, Pierre Comeau, Mill Manager.
7. Discuss 2011 Audit – CliftonLarsenAllen, Tom Koop.
8. Climate Change Options for Brainerd – Neal Lesmeister.
9. Unfinished business.
A. BTD Wood Powder Coating – Adopt Resolution for State MIF Funding – BLAEDC.
B. Zoning Concerns – Jay Brutzman.
C. Airport Commission – Request to Postpone Discussion with Current and Immediate Past Chair of Commission regarding Council Concerns.
• Conflict of Interest
• Open Meeting Law
D. Draft Ordinance related to Bicycles on sidewalks – Discussion of.
E. Review Joint Meeting Dates:
City Council/County Board – Feb. 7, 5 p.m. at County Land Services Meeting Room
City Council/HRA – Feb. 13, 6 p.m. at HRA
City Council/PUC – January dates will not work – Suggested dates in February include 27th, 28th, or 29th
10. Planning Commission.
A. Non-Conforming Sign Variance – John Tanner, (Tanner Nissan), 405 6th Street NW.
11. Public Forum. Time allocated for citizens to bring matters not on the agenda to the attention of the Council. Time limits may be imposed.
A – Mayor
B – City Attorney
C – City Administrator
D – City Engineer
E – City Planner
F – Police Chief
G – Finance Director
H – Council President
13. Council Committee Reports.
A – Personnel and Finance Committee.
B – Safety and Public Works Committee.
C – Other Committees.
14. Committee Recommendations – Recommended by Mayor Wallin.
A. Jan Burton – Kitchigami Regional Library Representative – Term to expire on Dec. 31, 2014.
15. Committee Recommendations – Recommended by President Koep.
A. Terry Moberg – Police and Fire Civil Service Commission, Term to expire on Dec. 31, 2013.
B. Jeff Czeczok – Airport Commission, Term to expire on Dec. 31, 2012.
16. Call for applicants.
A. Transportation Committee – Two terms to expire Dec. 31, 2013.
B. Library board – One term to expire Dec. 31, 2017.
17. Adjourn – To Council Planning workshop to be held on Jan. 23 at 6 p.m. in the Council Chambers
Personnel and Finance Committee
Meets 6:15 p.m. Tuesday
City Hall Conference Room
1. Approval of bills.
2. Building/Housing Inspector – Hiring Recommendation.
3. Parking Ticket Fine Collection – Status Report.
4. Union Negotiation Update.
5. Fire Department.
• Proposed Fire Department Fee Resolution – Discussion of.
• Paid On-Call Wage Adjustment – Approval of.
6. Supervisor/Employee Memo on Suggestions to Improve How City Conducts Business – Update.
7. Marsh Run TIF District Decertification.
Use of Excess Funds from Decertified Districts
Safety and Public Works
Meets 6:45 p.m. Tuesday
City Council Chambers
1. Sidewalks on 2012 Street Improvements.
2. New sign installations – Status of.
3. Unorganized Territory Street Improvements.
4. Land Dispute – discussion of.
5. Improvement 10-06 – South Seventh Street Reconstruction – Liquidated Damages.
.Baxter City Council
Meets 7 p.m. Tuesday
Baxter City Hall
13190 Memorywood Dr., Baxter
The Baxter City Council will hold a work session at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Baxter City Hall.
1. Call meeting to order
2. Roll call
3. Pledge of Allegiance
4. Oath of Office
5. Public comments
Comments received from the public may be placed on a future meeting agenda for consideration.
6. Consent Agenda
The following items are considered non-controversial by staff and are recommended to be read and passed in one motion. Any council person, staff, citizen, or meeting attendee can request one or more items be pulled from the Consent Agenda and the item will be pulled and addressed immediately after the passage of the Consent Agenda; otherwise, the following items will be passed in one motion:
A. Approve Council minutes of Jan. 3.
B. Payment of Bills and approval of Finance Report.
C. Accept Utilities Commission minutes of Jan. 4.
1. Approve the WSN Proposal for Engineering Services for the 2012 Lift Station No. 4 Rehabilitation in the estimated amount of $9,500.
2. Approve the WSN Proposal for Engineering Services for the 2012 Lift Station No. 5 Rehabilitation in the estimated amount of $11,300.
D. Accept ARC Minutes of Jan. 5.
1. Approve the exterior materials for the proposed expansion of the building located at 8055 Industrial Park Road as submitted per staff findings and conditions as amended.
2. Approve the exterior materials for the proposed Mills Indoor Shooting Range and Archery Center located at 7609 Excelsior Road per staff findings and conditions.
E. Accept Planning & Zoning Commission Minutes of Jan. 10.
F. Approve the Lodge at Brainerd Lakes On-Sale Liquor License Application.
G. Authorize Mayor and City Clerk to sign agreement maintaining Investigator position with the MN Financial Crimes Task Force.
7. Pulled Agenda Items
8. Other business
A. Hastings Road Improvements Project
1. Public Hearing for Proposed Assessment for the 2011 (2012) Hastings Road Improvements – 7 p.m. or shortly thereafter
2. Adopt Resolution 12-1/2-1, Adopting Assessments for the Hastings Road Improvements.
B. Approve the Chicago Bridge & Iron Partial Pay Estimate #5 for the 1.25 MG Elevated Water Storage Tower in the amount of $212,230.
C. Matters pertaining to Central Lakes Crossing Development:
1. Approve a conditional use permit for a planned unit development (PUD) on lot 1, block 1 Central Lakes Crossing 2nd Addition and lot 2, block 1 Central Lakes Crossing 2nd Addition (to be re-platted as lots l & 2, block 1, Central Lakes Crossing 3rd Addition) per P & Z Commission findings and the conditions as amended.
2. Approve the minor subdivision plat entitled Central Lakes Crossing 3rd Addition per P & Z Commission findings and conditions.
3. Approve a conditional use permit to allow for a drive thru per Section 10-3G-2 of the Baxter Zoning Code on lot 2, block 1, Central Lakes Crossing 3rd Addition per P & Z Commission findings and conditions.
D. Approve a Conditional Use Permit to allow a Planned Unit Development (PUD) on land generally described as 8053 and 8055 Industrial Park Road per P & Z Commission findings and conditions.
E. Matters pertaining to the Mills Shooting Range project:
1. Motion approving a conditional use permit (CUP) amending the existing “Plat of Kohl’s” planned unit development (PUD) to allow the Mills Shooting Range project located on land described as 7609 Excelsior Road (former Paul Bunyan Bowl) and 7565 Excelsior Road (Kohls) per P & Z Commission findings and the conditions.
2. Approve a Conditional Use Permit which would allow for an indoor shooting range and archery center per Section 10-3G-2 of the Baxter Zoning Code on land described as 7609 Excelsior Road (former Paul Bunyan Bowl) per P & Z Commission findings and conditions.
F. Approve the conditional use permit to allow outside display and storage at the proposed Brock White location of 3855 Independence Road (former Stock Lumber property) per P & Z Commission findings and conditions.
9. Council Comments
A. Jim Klein
B. Rob Moser
C. Todd Holman
D. Mark Cross
E. Darrel Olson
10. City Attorney’s Report
11. City Administrator’s Report
Cass County Board of Commissioners
Meets 9 a.m. Tuesday
Land Department meeting room
218 Washburn Ave. East, Backus
1. 9 a.m. Call to order.
a. Pledge of Allegiance.
b. Approval of agenda for discussion. (Any requests to be heard not on the proposed agenda are considered for inclusion at this time).
2. 9:05 a.m. Robert Yochum – County Administrator.
a. Consent agenda.
b. Approve AMC 2012 Policy Committee appointments.
c. Conservation Fund 73 final payment City of East Gull Lake ($173,058.81) for paved trail system.
3. 9:15 a.m. Gail Leverson – Cass County Economic Development Director.
a. Cass County EDC update.
b. Business subsidy workgroup report.
4. 9:30 a.m. Josh Stevenson – Land Commissioner.
a. Approve partnership with State of MN to expand Big Rice Hunter Walking trail system (Lima and Remer Townships).
b. Lessard/Sams Outdoor Heritage Council project update.
5. 9:45 a.m. Tom Burch – Sheriff.
a. Discuss 2012 International Eel Pout Festival permit.
b. Discuss billing inmates jail health cost.
6. 10 a.m. Reno Wells – HHVS Director, Michele Piprude – Social Services Manager.
a. Overview of Social Services intakes for calendar year 2011.
b. Introduce Daniel McMahon – Veterans Service Benefit Specialist.
7. 10:15 a.m. Dave Enblom – Highway Engineer, Kris Lyytinen – Assistant Highway Engineer.
a. Review draft proposed MOU, with MPCA – Stormwater management on county construction projects.
b. Discussion on revocating State Aid designation of CSAH 37.
c. Request approval of Highway Department policy - Roadway Signage and Striping Maintenance update of present policy to conform to new Federal Sign rules.
d. Approve City of Longville’s request to allow ATV use on CSAH 5 and CSAH 7 within the City limits of Longville.
8. 10:30 a.m. Confirm upcoming meeting schedule.
a. Approve attendance at the AMC Joint Legislative Conference, March 21-22, Crowne Plaza, St. Paul.
b. Thursday, Feb. 2 SWCD Liaison Committee Meeting, Board Room, 1st Floor Annex, Courthouse, Walker.
c. Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe and County Board of Commissioners Joint Meeting (date pending).
9. 10:35 a.m. Adjourn.
1. Approve Board Minutes of Jan. 3, 2012.
2. Approve Auditor manual warrants Batch #1 dated December, 2011 in the amount of $5,486,886.43.
3. Approve Auditor manual warrants Batch #2 dated December, 2011 in the amount of $297,618.16.
4. Approve Auditor manual warrants Batch #3 dated December, 2011 in the amount of $7,561.04.
5. Approve HHVS Auditor warrants dated Dec. 30, 2011 in the amount of $3,788.
6. Approve HHVS Auditor warrants dated Dec. 30, 2011 in the amount of $57,074.34.
7. Approve HHVS Commissioners warrants dated Dec. 30, 2011 in the amount of $29,019.26.
8. Approve Auditor warrants dated Jan. 5, 2012, in the amount of $78,611.30.
9. Approve HHVS Auditor warrants dated Jan. 6, 2012, in the amount of $52,917.52.
10. Approve HHVS Commissioners warrants dated Jan. 6, 2012, in the amount of $26,699.46.
11. Receive and file - Monthly Budget Reports.
12. Approve personnel actions.
13. Receive and file - Auditor -Treasurer’s Interest Income Report for December 2011.
14. Approve pay requests for Cass County ARMER Project to Midstates Wireless-Radio install- $2,817.25; Bay Carpet & Tile-Dispatch remodel - $390.25, Walker Ace-Dispatch remodel- $641.23; American Eagle Security System-Generator Maintenance- $657.28; Motorola Solutions, Inc. - $1,774,341.84; DSC Communications-Dispatch remodel - $21,344.43 Jerry Tatro-ARMER Project installs- $4,301.
15. Approve MOU for VHR Interoperable Frequency Use Agreement between the State of Minnesota-ARMER Project.
16. Authorize 4th quarter Longville Ambulance Subordinate Service District payment in the amount of $102,750.00.
17. Approve appointment of James Ballenthin to the Planning Commission – SWCD representative, term ending December 31, 2012.
18. Approve Cass County Family Center quarterly progress reports and payment of quarterly expense claims totaling $25,382.44 from all five family centers.
19. Approve Group Residential Housing Agreement - Preston and Marie Peters, Amarilla House in Pine River.
20. Approve Purchase of Service Agreement between Cass County Health, Human and Veterans Services and John Parkin, M.D.
21. Approve Medical Consultant Services Contract between Cass County and Burton Haugen, M.D.
22. Approve Home and Community Based Services Contract for 2012-2014 - Minnesota State Operated Services (MNSOCS).
23. Approve Memorandum of Agreement - St. Joseph’s Area Health Services Physical and Occupational Therapy Services.
24. Authorize financial contribution for FY2012 to the Mississippi Headwaters Board in the amount of $1,500.
25. Receive and file – 4th quarter Assessor foreclosure and sales report.
26. Receive and file Pine River Sanitary District annual summary of 2011.