Wood burning fireplace appears to be culprit of South Long Lake home fire
A house fire Sunday on South Long Lake appeared to have been started by a wood burning fireplace, Brainerd Fire Chief Kevin Stunek said.
Stunek said the walk-out home at 7862 Lakeview Drive, owned by Scott McInnes, owner of Shipwreck Boat Works of Princeton, was fully engulfed on the lake side of the house and was full of heavy smoke when firefighters arrived at the scene. About 27 firefighters responded to the call, reported at 11:22 a.m. by a passerby.
Stunek said no one was in the home at the time of the fire and neighbors were able to rescue two dogs.
The wood burning fireplace is located in the recreation room in the downstairs of the home, Stunek said, and it appeared that heat from the fireplace ignited a fire underneath it in the deck, then it made its way up the side of the house and into the attic.
Stunek said there was damage throughout the home but it is salvageable. Stunek estimated that there was $150,000 done in structural damage and content loss.
“The firefighters did a good job knocking it down,” Stunek said. “It was an excellent save. We were able to get inside of the home and do an offensive attack.”
Firefighters cleared the scene at 2:35 p.m.
The Nisswa Fire Department was called for mutual aid and the Crow Wing County Sheriff’s Department and North Memorial Ambulance assisted at the scene.
JENNIFER STOCKINGER may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 855-5851.