Nisswa resident wakes up to garage fire
A Nisswa resident woke up during the early hours Wednesday morning when he thought he saw a yard light on.
It wasn’t a yard light, but rather his unattached garage was fully engulfed in flames and smoke.
Nisswa Fire Chief Richard Geike said more than a dozen firefighters responded at 1:35 a.m. to a residence on Lower Roy Lake Road that is rented by Tom Spadino. Geike said the unattached garage was fully engulfed and it was a total loss.
Geike said there was a lot of property in Spadino’s garage that was damaged, including snowmobiles, generators, snow blowers and lawn mowers. A truck that was parked right outside the garage also burned.
Geike said it appeared the fire started from a generator that was running in the garage. Geike said there was no electricity in the garage that had wood walls and a tin roof.
North Ambulance, Nisswa Police Department and Crow Wing County Sheriff’s Office assisted Nisswa Fire at the scene. The scene was cleared about 3:30-3:45 a.m.