Weather Forecast


Firefighter injured after responding to call

A Brainerd fire captain was injured Saturday after responding to an electrical fire from a ceiling fan in a kitchen at a home at 1507 Norwood St., Brainerd, said Fire Chief Kevin Stunek.

Stunek said firefighter Daryl Rubbelke was first on scene and was doing a routine walk around the house to make sure no one was inside the home trying to escape, when he slipped on ice and hit his head. Stunek said Rubbelke was wearing his helmet and safety gear, but his helmet cracked from the fall. Rubbelke was taken to Essentia Health St. Joseph’s Medical Center where he was treated and released.

Stunek said the renter of the home, Gary Williams, heard a bang when he saw an orange flame in the ceiling of the kitchen. Stunek said Williams, another adult, a 19-year-old and 12-year-old were in the home at the time, but were not injured.

Stunek said the home was full of smoke upon arrival and firefighters were able to break through the ceiling to extinguish the fire. Stunek said the fire caused about $7,500 in damages.

About 22 firefighters responded to the fire, along with two engine trucks.

North Ambulance and Brainerd Police Department assisted the fire department at the scene.

Denton (Denny) Newman Jr.
I've worked at the Brainerd Dispatch with various duties since Dec. 7, 1983. Starting off as an Ad Designer and currently Director of Audience Development. The Dispatch has been an interesting and challenging place to work. I'm fortunate to have made many friends, both co-workers and customers.
(218) 855-5889