Powder and propane explosions: Lake Edward home total loss
A neighbor hearing a loud explosion and then seeing a house go up in smoke resulted in sending Nisswa firefighters out to a location Monday in Lake Edward Township.
About 15 firefighters responded to the structure fire reported at 10:50 a.m. at 26608 Sunset Valley Road in Nisswa. The manufactured, double wide home is owned by Richard Laflex.
Nisswa Fire Chief Richard Geike said no one was in the house at the time of the fire and no one was hurt.
Geike said he was the first firefighter on scene and when he got there he heard another couple of explosions and saw more fire and smoke.
“The fire was just getting started,” said Geike. “It blew one door off and a picture window off ... It was going good.”
Geike said the cause of the fire appears to be electrical. Geike said the fire started in the rear bedroom.
Geike said the explosions came from two sources. Geike said the homeowner is a muzzle loader hunter and he had a couple one-pound containers of black powder in the rear bedroom that caused some of the explosions. Geike said there also were propane torches in a front room that exploded and made loud bangs.
“The home is still standing, but we had to gut it all out,” said Geike. “The guys got in and did a great job on scene.”
Pequot Lakes Fire Department and Mission Fire were called for mutual aid. North Ambulance, Crow Wing Sheriff’s Department and Nisswa and Breezy Point police departments assisted on scene.
Geike said the state fire marshal will be investigating.
Firefighters cleared the scene around 3 p.m.