Cabin rental lost to fire
Pequot Lakes Fire Chief Tom Nelson said when firefighters arrived at the scene they could tell the fire had been burning for quite a while, as flames already had gone through the roof. Nelson said it appears that the cause of the fire was electrical. Nelson said the estimated loss in value is around $60,000 to $80,000.
Nelson said about 28 firefighters were on scene, as well as mutual aid from the Nisswa and Ideal Fire Departments.
The fire was reported around 8 p.m. and firefighters cleared the scene around 11 p.m.
Pets lost in Crosby fireCROSBY — Two cats were lost in a fire Tuesday in Crosby but a dog and another cat survived, said Crosby Fire Chief Alan Woods.Woods said about 17 Crosby firefighters responded to a house fire at 2:15 p.m. on 202 Second St. Woods said the fire started in the kitchen and rapidly spread through the attic.“It was close to a total loss,” Woods said of the structure. “It was a small house and it filled up with smoke quickly.”Woods said it appeared that the fire was started from the cats, which were prone to jumping on the stove. Woods said that one of the cats must have hit one of the burners and there were a toaster, cat treats and other materials near or on the stove that caught on fire.“This is a good reminder to people to not keep anything on their stove,” said Woods. “It’s a fire waiting to happen.”The Deerwood Fire Department was called for mutual aid from Deerwood.
Grass fireThe Brainerd Fire Department responded to a grass fire at 7:04 p.m. Tuesday on 3408 Staghorn Dr., Fort Ripley.