Weather Forecast


Man convicted in 2008 beating death may face prison time

A 28-year-old Brainerd man who was sentenced in 2009 to one year in jail for the beating death of Chad Charles Campbell on Aug. 14, 2008, may be going back to prison for an alleged violation of his probation.

Bradley Thomas Lewis is set to appear Monday in Crow Wing District Court in front of Judge Erik Askegaard for violating conditions of his probation. Part of Lewis’ 2009 sentence was that if he violates any of the terms of his probation, he could face up to 98 months in prison. Past of Lewis’ original sentence included 15 years of supervised probation.

Lewis, who entered a plea of guilty to first-degree manslaughter in 2009 in exchange for the dismissal of charges of second-degree unintentional murder, first-degree assault, second-degree manslaughter and third-degree assault, has had 16 conditions he must follow as part of his probation. According to court records, Lewis violated the conditions of no possession or use of drugs and alcohol and he failed to remain in contact with his probation officer.

Crow Wing County Attorney Don Ryan said Wednesday that the state’s position is that Lewis’ sentence should be executed at this time.

According to the criminal complaint filed against Lewis:

• Brainerd police officers were called at 1:25 a.m. Aug. 14, 2008, to an assault near Seventh and Front streets.

• Officers learned Campbell and an older man were involved in a verbal altercation. As bystanders attempted to separate the two men, Lewis appeared. He took off his shirt and tried to get at Campbell, who was calling Lewis names. Lewis was yelling at Campbell “that he was gonna hurt him and that he was gonna mess him up.”

• A witness said Campbell asked Lewis why he was trying to hit him and explaining that Lewis had nothing to do with the situation. Witnesses indicated that Campbell “seemed like he did not want to fight and had his hands up in a defensive manner when (Lewis) ran around a group of people, struck Mr. Campbell one time on the side of the head knocking him to the ground and rendering him unconscious. At that point, (Lewis) left the scene.”

Campbell died Aug. 19, 2008 in St. Cloud Hospital.

At his sentencing in February of 2009, a tearful Lewis offered an apology to the Campbell family. He said he didn’t intend to kill anyone that night, that he may have thought he was breaking up a fight and that a jury may have been asked to determine whether the punch thrown was an act in self-defense. He also told the court he knows violence is not the answer and that he was a changed man.

JENNIFER STOCKINGER may be reached at or 855-5851. Follow me on Twitter at