Chippewa National Forest extends closures following July 2 storm
Chippewa National Forest officials have extended a Forest Closure order to include six recreation sites or trails. These emergency restrictions are necessary for the public’s health and safety due to storm damage in the vicinity of the affected lands.
• Norway Beach Recreation Area including the portion of Forest Road 2005 from US Highway 2 North to the Wanaki Campground loop.
• South Pike Bay Campground
• Winnie Campground and Picnic area including Forest Road 2168 (Winnie Campground Road)
• Tamarack Campground off Forest Road 2220
• Migizi Bike Trail starting at the junction of US Highway 2 and Pike Bay Loop Road (FR 2137) and ending at the junction of 61st Ave NW and Pike Bay Loop Road (southwest end).
• Soo Line Trail, starting at the Junction of US Highway 2 and the Pike Bay Loop Road (FR 2137) heading East and ending at the Junction with County Road 8, north of Federal Dam.
Closures remain in effect as long as they are posted on-site. For more information on Forest closures following the July 2nd storm, or for information on road conditions and safety, please call the Forest Supervisor’s Office at 218-335-8600 or the following District Offices.
Blackduck Ranger District: 218-835-4291
Deer River Ranger District: 218-246-2123
Walker Ranger District: 218-547-1044
Forest updates are also posted on the public web site at www.fs.usda.gov/chippewa