Cass County agenda-Sept. 2
Brainerd City Council
Brainerd City Council
Meets 7:30 p.m. Tuesday
Brainerd City Hall
1. Call to order.
2. Roll call.
3. Pledge of Allegiance.
4. Consent Calendar (NOTICE TO PUBLIC) – All matters listed are considered routine by the Council and will all be enacted by one (1) motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless good cause is shown prior to the time the Council votes on the motion to adopt by roll call.
A. Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Meeting held on August 20, 2012 and the Adjourned Meeting held on August 29, 2012 to Discuss the City Administrator Hiring Process, as distribute
B. Approval of Licenses.
1. Contractor’s Licenses – - New (2)
2. Contractor’s Licenses – - Renewals (1)
C. Department Reports
1. Mayor’s report of activities distributed to Council.
2. Fire Chief’s report of activities distributed to Mayor and Council.
3. Park Director’s report of activities distributed to Mayor and Council.
D. Resolution Establishing Polling Locations and Setting Pay For Election Judges for the November 6, 2012 General Election - Adoption of.
E. Application for a Temporary On-Sale Liquor License – Submitted by the Crossing Arts Alliance for an Event to be held on October 7, 2012 at the Q Gallery, Franklin Arts Center, 1001 Kingwood Street, Brainerd – Approval of
F. Agreement Between the MN Department of Revenue and the City of Brainerd for Collection of a Local Sales and Use Tax – Approval of and Authorization of Proper Signatures.
G. Minnesota Lawful Gambling Application for Exempt Permit – Submitted by Minn Darkhouse & Angling Association Brainerd Lakes Area for a Raffle to be held on Oct. 7, 2012, at the American Legion, 708 Front Street, Brainerd – Approval of
H. Police Department – Resignation of Community Service Officer Candi Vought – Effective Aug. 31, 2012 – Accept with Regret.
5. Approval of Bills – Recommended by the Personnel and Finance Committee
6. Unfinished business
A. First reading – Proposed Ordinance No. 1399 – An Ordinance Amending Section 1310 of the Brainerd City Code Entitled Parking Regulations – Interim City Administrator Goble recommends dispensing with the Actual Reading – Approval of.
B. Imgrund Conditional Use Permit – Extend 60 Day Review Period.
C. City Planner Reports
• Downtown Business Owners/Mainstreet Program Report
• Citizen Survey Results
D. Aug. 7, 2012 Financial Review
7. New Business
A. 2013 Preliminary Levy and Budget – (See Attachment & Resolution).
• Set date for Final 2013 Budget and Levy Discussion – Monday, Dec. 10, 2012
B. Whittier School – Alderman Kelly Bevans to Report
C. Green Space Special Referendum Discussion – President Koep.
8. Public Forum. Time allocated for citizens to bring matters not on the agenda to the attention of the Council. Time limits may be imposed
A – Mayor
B – City Attorney
C – Interim City Administrator
D – City Engineer
E – City Planner
F – Fire Chief
G – Park Director
H – Council President
10. Council Committee Reports.
A – Personnel and Finance Committee.
B – Safety and Public Works Committee.
C – Other Committees.
11. Committee Recommendations – Recommended by Mayor Wallin
A – Steven Wolff – Cable TV Advisory Committee – Term to expire Dec. 31, 2012.
B – Charles R. Marohn – Transportation Committee – Term to expire Dec. 31, 2013.
12. Call for applicants
A. Economic Development Authority – 1 Position – Term to expire Sept. 7, 2013.
B. Transportation Committee – 1 Position – Terms to expire Dec. 31, 2013.
Personnel and Finance Committee
Meets 6:30 p.m. Tuesday
City Hall Conference Room
1. Approval of Bills
2. Fire Department Relief Association – 2012 Pension Schedules.
3. City General Obligation (GO) Bond Sale – Responses Received from Local Banks.
4. Workplace Violence Policy – Adoption of.
5. Deferred Assessment Criteria.
6. City Hall Video/Televising/Internet Connection – Wrap-up
7. Civic Center Elevator Funding – Status of.
8. Police Department – Resignation of Community Service Officer Candi Vought – Effective August 31, 2012 – Accept with Regret – .
Meets 7 p.m. Tuesday
City Council chambers
1. Tax Forfeit Parcel Request.
2. Excavation Permit Fees for Directional Drillers.
3. Drivers License Exam Office Lease Extension.
4. Weeds – Goldenrod.
5. Right-of-Way Issues at South 5th Street and Rosewood Street.
Meets 9:30 a.m. Thursday
Airport Conference Room
1. Call to order.
2. Roll call.
3. Consent Calendar. (Note: All matters listed in this form are considered routine by the Commission and will all be enacted in one motion in the form listed below.)
A. Approval of minutes of the regular meeting of Aug. 7, 2012, with financial report of July 2012, and special meeting of Aug. 17, 2012, as distributed.
Suggested action: Motion to approve Consent Calendar item “A.”
4. Discussion/Action – Communications.
5. Approval to Pay Bills.
A. As submitted.
6. Public Forum. (Time limits may be imposed.)
7. Discussion/Action – Search for new manager.
8. Discussion/Action – Airline Service Update.
A. Airport Manager.
1. Tri-Annual Emergency Exercise.
2. Approval of new cafe Lease.
B. Consulting Engineer.
1. Abandon RW 12/30 Project.
10. Old Business.
11. New Business.
A. Discussion of items which developed after publication of agenda.
12. Next meeting date – Oct. 4, 2012, 9:30 a.m.
Baxter City Council
Meets 7 p.m. Tuesday
Baxter City Hall
13190 Memorywood Drive, Baxter
A work session of the Baxter City Council will be 6 p.m. Tuesday at Baxter City Hall to discuss various issues related to infrastructure planning and maintenance, advisory commissions, comprehensive planning, and future street and utilities right-of-way acquisition (closed session). No formal actions will be taken at this meeting.
1. Call meeting to order
2. Roll call
3. Pledge of Allegiance
4. Public Comments
Comments received from the public may be placed on a future meeting agenda for consideration.
5. Consent agenda
The following items are considered non-controversial by staff and are recommended to be read and passed in one motion. Any council person, staff, citizen, or meeting attendee can request one or more items be pulled from the Consent Agenda and the item will be pulled and addressed immediately after the passage of the Consent Agenda; otherwise, the following items will be passed in one motion:
A. Approve City Council Minutes from Aug. 21, 2012.
B. Approve City Council Work Session Minutes from Aug. 21, 2012.
C. Approve the Payment of Bills and Finance Report.
D. Accept Utilities Commission Minutes for Aug. 22, 2012.
1. Approve the WSN Proposal for Engineering Services for the Excelsior Road Stormwater Study in the not to exceed amount of $2,350 with funding coming out of the Storm Water Enterprise Fund.
E. Accept Parks Commission Minutes of Aug. 27, 2012.
1. Approve consideration of including funding for the following park projects in the 2013 budget: 1) benches, picnic tables, etc. at Riverview Park, 2), handicap accessibility related trails/connections at Loren Thompson Park, 3) the handicap ramp in the parking lot of Whipple Beach Park, 4) the trial connection at Grand Oaks Drive/Firewood Drive intersection and 5) the small trail connection to the Paul Bunyan Trail at the Charles Street/Baxter Drive intersection.
F. Approve 2013 Delayed Payments of Taxes on Special Assessments for Senior Citizens or Disabled Persons.
G. Adopt Resolution No. 12-9/1-1 Setting the Preliminary 2013 Property Tax Levy at $5,450,200.
H. Adopt Resolution No. 12-9/1-2 Approving the Preliminary 2013 Governmental Funds Budget.
I. Set the Public Information Meeting to Review the 2013 Budget and Levy with Public Testimony for Dec. 3, 2012, at 6:15 p.m.
6. Pulled Agenda Items
7. Other business
A. Hearing on tall grass abatement at 7094 Fox Road.
1. Motion directing staff to take the necessary action to abate the tall grass nuisance and recover costs at 7094 Fox Road.
B. 1.25 MG Elevated Water Storage Tower
1. Project Update.
2. Approve the Chicago Bridge & Iron Partial Pay Estimate #10 for the 1.25 MG Elevated Water Storage Tower in the amount of $147,113.20.
8. Council Comments
A. Jim Klein
B. Rob Moser
C. Todd Holman
D. Mark Cross
E. Darrel Olson
9. City Attorney’s Report
10. City Administrator’s Report
The following list includes Crow Wing County meetings that may be attended by one or more members of the Crow Wing County Board:
Monday, County offices closed.
9 a.m. Tuesday, Region Five+ Mental Health Initiative Board at Land Services Building, Meeting Room 1.
8:15 a.m. Thursday, Airport Search Committee for New Manager at Airport Conference Room.
9:30 a.m. Thursday, Brainerd Lakes Regional Airport Commission at Airport Conference Room.
8 a.m. Sept. 10, Thirty Lakes Watershed District Board of Managers at Land Services Building, Meeting Room 1.
Cass County Board of Commissioners
Meets 9 a.m. Tuesdat
Commissioners Board Room
Call to order.
a. Pledge of Allegiance.
b. Approval of Agenda for discussion. (Any requests to be heard not on the proposed agenda are considered for inclusion at this time).
Robert Yochum – County Administrator, Larry Wolfe – Chief Financial Officer.
a. Consent Agenda.
b. Citizen Budget Committee recommendations to date.
c. Resolution No. 46-12 to establish 2013 Cass County preliminary property tax levy.
d. Resolution No. 47-12 to establish 2013 Unorganized Township preliminary property tax levy.
Josh Stevenson – Land Commissioner.
a. Approve Resolution No. 48 -12 removing tax-forfeited parcels from over the counter sale.
b. Approve Resolution No. 49- 12 on sale of tax-forfeit parcels to be held on Oct. 27, 2012.
Dave Enblom – Highway Engineer.
a. Award bids for joint project with Wadena County on 011-667-004 (CSAH#67).
b. Approve agreement with MNDOT and accept bridge bonds for SAP 011-598-005
(CR120) and SAP 011-598-006(CR147).
c. Shingobee Township fiscal agent request (Skip Duchesneau) d. Preliminary recommendations from RAC Committee.
Tom Burch – Sheriff; Kerry Swenson – Emergency Management Coordinator. a. Approve ARMER Radio GeoComm completion certificate.
Marion Larson – Regional EMC Coordinator to Central MN EMS Region. a. Update on the Central MN Emergency Medical Services Region.
Request to be heard.
a. Candidate for House of Representative District 9A – Don Niles. b. Candidate for Senate District 9 - Al Doty.
Reno Wells – HHVS Director, Kathleen Ramos – Veterans Service Office. a. VSO Activity Report thru June 30, 2012.
b. Veteran parking program.
Request to be heard.
a. Pat Medure – Water reservoir level task force.
Confirm upcoming meeting schedule.
a. September 11th observance on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2012, beginning at 7:30 a.m.
Veterans Podium, Courthouse Lawn, Walker, Minn.
b. County Board Meeting in Commissioner District #3, Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2012,
6:00 p.m. at Powers Township, 850 E Horseshoe Dr. NW, Backus, Minn.
c. Cass County EDC 2012 Annual Meeting – Thursday, Sept. 27, 2012, 5 p.m., Northern Lights Casino & Convention Center, Walker, Minn.
d. AMC Fall Policy Committee Meeting – Sept. 27-28, 2012, Cragun’s on Gull Lake, Brainerd, Minn.
11. 11:15 a.m.
1. Approve Board Minutes of Aug. 21, 2012.
2. Approve Auditor warrants dated Aug. 2012, in the amount of $865,126.44.
3. Approve Auditor warrants dated Aug. 16, 2012, in the amount of $1,246,569.17.
4. Approve Auditor warrants dated Aug. 23, 2012, in the amount of $314,798.89.
5. Approve HHVS Commissioner warrants dated Aug. 24, 2012, in the amount of $83,924.29.
6. Approve HHVS Auditor warrants dated Aug. 24, 2012, in the amount of $198,650.86.
7. Approve personnel items.
8. Approve Assessor’s Office Abatements.
9. Approve – FY12-13 MN Snowmobile GIA Maintenance & Grooming Grant (Swift Contract: #51047) MN DNR in the amount of $152,928.00.
10. Receive & file correspondence from MN Historical Society Pine River Depot in the National Register of Historic Places.
11. Receive & file - HHVS Cash Account Balance Comparison and Child Service Costs through July 2012.
12. Award bid to haul material needed to repair the Bull Moose Trail (Section 29) Bull Moose Twp. to Sawyer Timber LLC in the amount of $15.00/yd.
13. Approve contract amendment #1 to GIS Professional Services Agreement with ProWest & Associates, Inc. extension to March 29, 2013(bid awarded on November 15, 2011 for Land Department database management system).
14. Receive & file Medical Examiner statistics from Jan. 1, 2012 through June 30, 2012.
15. Accept Crime Victim Services Grant (A-CVS-2013-CASSAO-00095/3-12907) in the amount of $43,000.00 from Oct. 2012 – Sept. 30, 2013.
16. Approve Resolution No. 45A-12 to proceed with final certification on the Pavement Preservation project on CSAH 7 (project number SP 011-607-010) upon receipt of final documentation, final payment will be made.
17. Receive & file - Timber auction results of Aug. 30, 2012.