Weather Forecast


Candle may have started fire at Baxter home

BAXTER — It appears that a candle may have been the culprit of a fire Monday at a residence in Baxter.

Brainerd Fire Chief Kevin Stunek said when firefighters arrived to a rental home on 13521 Kenwood Drive there was heavy smoke in the basement and the second floor was filling up quickly with smoke. Stunek said four firefighters entered the home and were able to knock it down quickly. About 21 firefighters responded to the scene.

Stunek said there were two adults in the home at the time of the fire, who were able to escape safely. Stunek said the house is rented by Chrystal Morris, who was not in the home at the time of the fire.

“It appears that the fire may have been started from a candle but it is under investigation,” said Stunek. “The fire started in the basement bedroom.”

Stunek estimated about $10,000 in damages to the home.

Baxter police and North Memorial Ambulance assisted at the scene.

The fire was reported at 4:35 p.m.

“Again I have to thank the firefighters for their quick response,” said Stunek. “They knocked it down fast and if it wasn’t for their quick response the house could’ve been fully engulfed.”

JENNIFER STOCKINGER may be reached at or 855-5851. Follow me on Twitter at