Oct. Brainerd Public Library events
Oct. Brainerd Public Library events
The Brainerd Public Library announced a variety of activities scheduled for the month of October.
• Sept. 30 to Oct. 6 — Banned Book Week Trivia Contest: The library will have banned book week trivia with the chance to win great prizes, including a Banned Book Week Bracelet. Supported by the Friends of the Library.
• Oct. 11, 6-8 p.m. — Ancestry Detectives 101*: A beginning workshop for library users interested in tracing their family genealogy. Using library resources, the Ancestry Detectives 101 workshop will be a two-hour class. Pre-registration required by calling 829-5574
• Oct. 16, 6:30 p.m. — Woody Reflected*: 100 years of Woody Guthrie by Charlie Maguire, Pop Wagner, Tony Glover; a unique musical presentation celebrating 100 years of Woody Guthrie’s music, writings and art work.
• Oct. 18, 10 a.m. — Up-cycled Quilt*: Happy Dancing Turtle will be reading a book and discuss reusing, reducing and recycling. Children will create a design on a square of old fabric, which we will then make into a small quilt for display in the library. Designed for children ages 5-9. Class size is limited, please register at the library or by calling 829-5574.
• Oct. 14-20 — Teen read week: Teens talk about their favorite book on the library Facebook page and win a prize.
• Oct. 19, 2 p.m. — Teen movie: Watch “Hunger Games.”
• Oct. 23, 10:15 a.m. — Firefighter story time: Come hear a Brainerd Firefighter read a book at story time and learn all about their job. Make sure to bring a jacket to go outside and check out the fire truck!
• Oct. 24, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. — Beginning watercolor class with Verna Miller: Free beginning watercolor class by professional artist Verna Miller. Miller will be demonstrating watercolor techniques with hands-on practice. Supported by the Friends of the Library Pre-registration required by calling 829-5574.
• Oct 29, 4 p.m. — Family book club “Where the Mountain Meets the Moon” by Grace Lin: Monthly family book club for kids ages 8-12. Pick up a copy of the book at the library and read it before book club, then come to book club and talk about it while making fun crafts. Snacks are included, too and it’s a great way to get the family reading together. Supported by the Friends of the Library.
We now have DOWNLOADABLE materials for all ages!
• 3M Cloud Library The 3M Cloud Library offers popular fiction and nonfiction downloadable eBooks for all ages. EBooks are books in a digital form, consisting of text, images, or both. They are only readable on computers or other electronic devices.
• TumbleBooks for e-Kids TumbleBook Library is an online collection of TumbleBooks – animated, talking picture books which teach kids the joy of reading in a format they’ll love. TumbleBooks are created by adding animation, sound, music and narration to existing picture books in order to produce a streaming picture book which you can read, or have read to you.
• OneClickdigital Audio Books - EAudiobooks are books that have been read aloud and recorded. They can be downloaded and played on any desktop or laptop computer. From there, they may also be transferred to many listening devices such as MP3 players, Smart Phones and iPods. Titles are available for all ages—fiction and nonfiction.
• Check out our website http://krls.org/resources/downloadables to learn more.
• Nov. 13, 1 p.m. — Author Alison McGhee*: Alison McGhee, a Minnesota award winning author of books for all ages will present to different age groups. McGhee is a Pulitzer Prize nominee and a No. 1 New York Times bestselling author.
Nov. 18, 3 p.m. — Tiptoe Through the 60s* with Prudence Johnson & Dan Chouinard at Lord of Life Lutheran Church, 6190 Fairview Rd, Baxter: These multi-talented musicians and writers will present a multi-media show on the 1960s including music, photos, dialogue and more. You won’t want to miss this class performance on grand piano with vocals by Prudence Johnson.
Regular Library Events
Family Story Time-Every Monday @ 6:30 p.m.
Family Story Time-Every Tuesday @ 10:15 a.m.
Baby Story Time-Every Thursday @ 11:15 a.m.
Basic Computer Help-Every Thursday @ 2:30 p.m.
Brainerd Public Library Book Club from 2-3 p.m. every second Wednesday of the month. Everyone is welcome to join in the discussion for this monthly event.
*These free programs are made possible with funding from Kitchigami Regional Library through the State of Minnesota’s Legacy Amendment funds to preserve arts and cultural heritage.