Weather Forecast


Fire destroys garage in Baxter

1 / 2
2 / 2

BAXTER — A garage was fully engulfed Monday in black smoke and fire which made its way to the unattached home before Brainerd firefighters arrived at a Baxter home.|

Brainerd Fire Chief Kevin Stunek said David Lange, the homeowner, was working in the garage when he walked outside to do yard work. He then noticed flames in the garage. Lange’s wife, Jo, was not home at the time of the fire. No one was injured.

Stunek said the garage and an enclosed trailer parked in front of the garage were a total loss. A work shed located behind the garage also was damaged.

Stunek said most of the damage of the home, located at 13838 Cherrywood Dr., was in the attic.

Stunek said it appears that the fire started around a wood stove in the garage. Stunek said the estimated damage between the structures and the tools was in excess $150,000.

About 19 firefighters were on scene fighting the fire, along with eight firefighters from the Nisswa Fire Department. There was one ladder truck and three engines on scene.

Stunek said firefighters had to use caution as the gas meter box melted off the house and they could not turn off the gas. However, the gas company arrived and was able to turn it off.

Baxter Police had portions of Cherrywood Drive and Inglewood Drive closed as firefighters used two of the city hydrants.

North Memorial Ambulance assisted at the scene.

The fire was reported at 2:32 p.m.

JENNIFER STOCKINGER may be reached at or 855-5851. Follow me on Twitter at