Brainerd firefighters rescue dog from icy waters
Brainerd firefighters Saturday rescued a dog from icy waters on Gilbert Lake in Brainerd.
The Brainerd Fire Department was called at 9:44 a.m. to a report of a chocolate Labrador falling though the ice about a 100 yards from shore. Three full-time firefighters were able to save the dog.
“Ice safety not only applies to people, but also animals,” Brainerd Fire Chief Kevin Stunek said. “Homeowners should be well aware of the ice conditions and what can happen. Animals tire out just like humans. Cold conditions effect animals as fast as humans. The more we battle the cold/ice conditions the more we fade. We try not to panic, however we do. Animals do the same. When that situation happens it puts rescuers at risk also.”
Other fire calls over the weekend include, a call at 11:50 a.m. Saturday at Park Methodist Church, 315 N. Sixth St., of a pot left on the stove, causing smoke to fill the basement.
Firefighters responded to a call at 4:07 a.m. Sunday to a brush pile on fire at 10281 Five Mile Road. It was reported that it was a permitted burn.
The fire department also responded to a multiple vehicle crash at 5:33 p.m. Friday along Highway 210 near Super One Foods. The Baxter Police Department reported that there were no injuries in the crash.