Weather Forecast


Fort Ripley home saved from being demolished from fire

A Fort Ripley home was saved Monday when a fire started in its attic, burning the wood rafters and insulation of a home on Sebie Lake.

Brainerd firefighters were called at 1:51 p.m. to Daniel Bona’s home on 3373 Sebie Lake Road in Fort Ripley, which is 17 miles south of Brainerd.

Brainerd Fire Chief Kevin Stunek said upon arrival there was a lot of smoke but the flames were limited. Stunek said Bona was home with his mother when the fire started. Stunek said the fire started from a free standing wood fireplace in the living room. Stunek said the fire went through the chimney to the roof and the attic caught on fire.

“The chimney just got too hot and started the wood rafters and insulation on fire,” said Stunek. “We were able to get into the attic from an outside door ... The home was not a total loss. There was about $5,000 in damages.”

Stunek said Bona attempted to extinguish the fire.

“He did a good job extinguishing the fire as the flames were light when we arrived,” Stunek said. “However, we do not recommend homeowners to try to put out their own fires. Let the professionals do this. It is for their own safety.”

Stunek said there were 14 firefighters on scene, along with two fire engines and a tanker.

The Little Falls Fire Department were called for mutual aid and the Crow Wing County Sheriff’s Department and North Memorial Ambulance were on scene on standby.

Firefighters cleared the scene around 3:15 p.m.

JENNIFER STOCKINGER may be reached at or 855-5851. Follow me on Twitter at