Weather Forecast


Home saved in Sylvan Township, but motor home and shed lost to fire

1 / 2
2 / 2

An older motor home and a storage shed were lost to fire Wednesday night, but Pillager Area firefighters were able to save the home that was just three feet away.

Pillager Area Fire Chief Randy Lee said firefighters were called at 7:56 p.m. to a fire at a residence owned by Ron Hiller on 1494 Highway 210, just west of the Gull River and about six miles east of Pillager in Sylvan Township in Cass County.

No one was hurt in the fire, said Lee.

“This fire took some time getting it out,” said Lee. “It got into the enclosed attic of the storage shed. We had to cut the roof off to get to it. There were three layers of roofing, with cedar shakes and tin on the roof, so it was just sitting in there burning.”

Lee said that it appears that the fire may have been caused by electric heaters that were running with an extension cord that went from the power pole to the motor home.

“The extension cord actually melted the snow where it lay,” said Lee.

Lee said 16 Pillager firefighters responded to the fire and they had to make two trips with their tankers for water. Lee said about 7,000 gallons of water were used to extinguish the fire.

JENNIFER STOCKINGER may be reached at or 855-5851. Follow me on Twitter at