Brainerd School Board votes to not post 17 positions
Seventeen Brainerd School District positions that will be vacant at the end of this school year will not be posted for replacement at this time.
The Brainerd School Board Monday agreed with the school administration’s recommendation to hold off on advertising for the 17 positions at this time. The 17 positions equal 15.7 full-time equivalent (FTE) positions.
The district received 30 letters of retirement and one resignation in February. Of those, 27 are certified teacher/specialists, two are administrators and two are non-certified staff. The school board in February agreed to post for the director of schools, three speech/language pathologists, a school psychologist and a high school orchestral director.
On Monday, the board did agree to post three special education positions, a second grade AGATE program position and a high school technical education position.
Brainerd Superintendent Steve Razidlo said administration reviewed the positions and agreed that the district can hold off on advertising to fill the 15.7 FTE positions at this time. Razidlo said this will give the district time to evaluate its revenue and expenditures for the 2013-14 school year to see where they are budget wise, as well as time to evaluate the positions.
■ The positions that will not be posted at this time include:
• Third grade, two kindergarten teachers, physical education and a title one/reading recovery teacher at Garfield Elementary School.
• Foreign exchange student adviser.
• First and third grade teachers at Riverside Elementary School.
• Title One teacher at Lowell Elementary School.
• Social studies and English teacher at Brainerd High School South Campus.
• Special education teacher at the Lincoln Education Center.
• Psychologist at the Paul Bunyan Cooperative.
• Fourth grade teacher at Harrison Elementary School.
• Math teacher and choir director at Forestview Middle School.