Tax help available for those over age 60
■ Tax help available for those over age 60
AARP Volunteer Tax-Aides will be preparing Income Tax forms, rent credit and Property Tax refund forms for low-to-middle income persons with special emphasis for those over 60 in the Brainerd lakes area.
This is a free service for those eligible. Taxpayers need to bring the following information: 1099SSA, (If you do not receive one please go to the Social Security office for a printout), Railroad Retirement Statements, W-2, 1099 R, 1099 INT, 1099 DIV, 1099B, (if you sold stock please have the cost basis for the stock sold), Property Tax Statement and your donations to charities. If you have not filed for property tax refunds in the past, you can still file for a 2012 Property Tax Refund if you bring your 2012 income tax records and your 2013 Property Tax Statement. To file for your 2013 Property Tax Refund you will need your 2013 income and your 2014 Property Tax statements (available in March 2014).
AARP tax preparation sites this year will be:
• The Center in Brainerd: Starting Feb. 4 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday or by appointment or walk-in. Appointments can be made by calling 829-9345.
• Brainerd Public Library: Starting Feb. 3 from 12:30-5 p.m. Monday and Wednesday or by appointment or walk-in. Appointments can by made by calling The Center at 829-9345 and telling the receptionist the appointment is for the Brainerd Library site.
• Central Lakes College in Brainerd: Starting Feb. 4 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday and from 1-4 p.m. Thursday by appointments only. To make an appointment call 855-8052.
• Jessie F. Hallett Library in Crosby: Starting Feb. 4 from 12-4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Appointments only by calling 218-546-8005.
• Crosslake Community Center: Starting Feb. 4 from 8 a.m. to noon Wednesdays and Thursdays. Appointments only by calling 218-692-4271
• Pequot Lakes Library: Starting Feb. 6 from 12-4 p.m. Thursdays. Appointments only by calling 218-568-6181.
If you have an appointment arrive 10 minutes early to complete the required intake form. Everyone must bring a picture identification, Social Security Card and Routing and Account number for their checking or savings account if they want direct deposit.