Weather Forecast


Property tax refunds available for owners and renters

In order to qualify for a Homestead Credit Refund (homeowners) or Renter’s Property Tax Refund (renters), residents must be a full- or part-year resident of Minnesota in the year the taxes are paid.

Additionally, residents cannot be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer. Eligibility is also based on household income and property taxes paid on a principal residence in Minnesota.

Homeowners may be eligible for one or both of the property tax credit refunds if they owned and lived in their home on Jan. 2, 2013. Additional criteria for each program would include:

• Regular Homestead Credit Refund — household income for 2013 must be less than $105,500 (for 2012, less than $103,730). The maximum refund is $2,580.

• Special Homestead Credit Refund — no income limits, but the net property tax on your homestead property must have increased by more than 12 percent from 2013 to 2014. The increase must be at least $100. The maximum refund is $1,000.

• The home must be classified as homestead in order to qualify. Properties classified as “relative homestead” don’t qualify.

•Renters’ household income for 2013 must be less than $57,170 (for 2012 less than $56,220). The maximum refund is $2,000. Residents must have lived in a building that was subject to property taxes or “payments in lieu of taxes.” If residents are not sure about their building status, Crow Wing County advises them to contact their landlord.

“To file the property tax refund, you must complete the M1PR form and it is due by Aug. 15th,” said Crow Wing County Auditor-Treasurer Laureen Borden, in a news release. “You will need your 2014 property tax statement in order to file. The 2014 tax statements will be mailed by the end of March.”

For more information, visit the “Taxes” page of the Crow Wing County website.

Denton (Denny) Newman Jr.
I've worked at the Brainerd Dispatch with various duties since Dec. 7, 1983. Starting off as an Ad Designer and currently Director of Audience Development. The Dispatch has been an interesting and challenging place to work. I'm fortunate to have made many friends, both co-workers and customers.
(218) 855-5889