Weather Forecast


Single family housing loans available in Aitkin, Cass, Crow Wing and Morrison counties

Single family housing loans available

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development Agency is currently accepting applications for loans available to low-income families to buy, build, rehabilitate or improve homes located in rural communities with a population of 20,000 or less.

The maximum loan limits for the counties served throughout the northeast region range from $169,400 in Morrison County, $179,500 in Crow Wing County, $181,000 in Cass County and $187,000 in Aitkin County.

Approval for the maximum amount is based on household income and monthly debt obligations. No down payment is required and a portion of the loan closing costs may be included into the loan.

The applicant must be unable to obtain the needed credit from another lending source, have an acceptable credit history, meet income guidelines, have repayment capacity to service any existing obligations and the home loan payment, be without adequate housing, be a United State citizen or a non-citizen legally admitted for permanent residence and have the ability to personally occupy the home on a permanent basis.

Funding is based upon an annual appropriation. Loans may be made for up to 100 percent of the appraised value of the home. The Rural Development loan may be subsidized based on financial need in order to show repayment capacity. The repayment period of the loan is typically 33 years.

For information pertaining to the Aitkin, Cass, Crow Wing, and Morrison counties, contact the USDA Rural Development office at 7118 Clearwater Road, Baxter, 829-5965 ext. 4. Information is also available online at

Denton (Denny) Newman Jr.
I've worked at the Brainerd Dispatch with various duties since Dec. 7, 1983. Starting off as an Ad Designer and currently Director of Audience Development. The Dispatch has been an interesting and challenging place to work. I'm fortunate to have made many friends, both co-workers and customers.
(218) 855-5889