Weather Forecast


Couple dead from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

CROOKSTON - A Crookston couple were found dead in their home early this morning after their 17-year-old daughter called 911 to report a possible carbon monoxide poisoning, said Polk County Sheriff's Deputy Jim Tadman.

Kent Ostgaard, 49, and Natalie Ostgaard, 51, were pronounced dead at the scene. Their other daughter, Aryanna Ostgaard, was found unconscious but breathing and was taken to Riverview Hospital in Crookston, then Altru Hospital in Grand Forks, N.D. Tadman said she’s in critical condition.

The 17-year-old daughter was treated and released and is with family members, he said. The girl called 911 at 7:49 a.m. Monday.

Crookston firefighters and ambulance crews responded, along with Polk County deputies, because the home is just outside city limits.

The furnace was off, apparently because the propane tank was empty, but the investigation hasn’t been completed and no determination has been made on the cause of the two deaths, Tadman said.

The bodies of the Ostgaards were taken to the University of North Dakota for autopsies.

Denton (Denny) Newman Jr.
I've worked at the Brainerd Dispatch with various duties since Dec. 7, 1983. Starting off as an Ad Designer and currently Director of Audience Development. The Dispatch has been an interesting and challenging place to work. I'm fortunate to have made many friends, both co-workers and customers.
(218) 855-5889