Weather Forecast


Woman conscious, talking after apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

CROOKSTON - Aryanna Ostgaard, found unconscious Monday in her home near Crookston from the apparent carbon monoxide poisoning that killed her parents, is doing much better.

"She's conscious, she's talking," Polk County Chief Deputy Jim Tadman said Friday. "She's asking for a phone."

Ostgaard, 22, was taken to Mayo Clinic's Methodist Hospital in Rochester in critical condition Monday after she was found unresponsive but breathing in her family's house.

Her parents, Natalie and Kent Ostgaard, were found dead after their youngest daughter, Gabi, 17, called 911 just before 8 a.m. Monday, reporting apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in the home.

Gabi was treated at Riverview Health in Crookston and released Monday.

Tadman said toxicology and other autopsy test results aren't available for an official determination of the Ostgaards' cause of death. But he said there's no indication of anything other than accidental poisoning from carbon monoxide.

"Their furnace was not functioning," he said.

Denton (Denny) Newman Jr.
I've worked at the Brainerd Dispatch with various duties since Dec. 7, 1983. Starting off as an Ad Designer and currently Director of Audience Development. The Dispatch has been an interesting and challenging place to work. I'm fortunate to have made many friends, both co-workers and customers.
(218) 855-5889