Crow Wing County Landfill expands hours
Beginning April 5, the Crow Wing County Landfill will expand its hours of operation to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and will be open Monday through Saturday weekly.
During these expanded hours the county landfill is open to accept household garbage, fiberglass boats, mattresses, furniture, mobile homes and other items for proper disposal.
The county provides convenient access for proper disposal of unused or unneeded materials at the landfill, said Doug Morris, solid waste coordinator, in a news release.
Customers utilizing the landfill must stop at the landfill office and speak with the attendant to discuss the items to be disposed, collect any fees and receive directions to the proper drop-off locations. All loads coming to the county landfill must be covered and uncovered loads are subject to a $5 fee.
The following items can be properly disposed in the landfill for free or a nominal fee depending upon the items:
• Free recycling of lead-acid car/marine batteries.
• Free recycling of used oil filters, motor oil and anti-freeze is available at the Landfill and several drop-off locations within the county. Visit the web page for drop-off locations: www.crowwing.us and search “oil.”
• Free compost of lawn and garden material. Customers are asked to separate brush and branches.
• Demolition materials may be disposed in the demolition landfill for a fee.
• Large appliances, electronics, tires with or without rims, scrap metals, glass and plastic may be disposed in the landfill for a nominal fee for recycling.
The Crow Wing County Landfill is at 15728 State Highway 210 just east of Brainerd.
For more information, contact the Environmental Services Solid Waste Office at 824-1290 or to visit the Crow Wing County Web Site http://www.crowwing.us and search for solid waste.