Crow Wing County announces road construction projects
About $8 million in roadway improvement projects are scheduled in Crow Wing County in 2014.
The Crow Wing County Highway Department reported projects include:
• County Road 119 from North Long Lake to County State Aid Highway (CSAH) 3 in the First Assessment District north of Brainerd. The project will consist of a bituminous overlay with two-foot paved shoulders, including culvert replacements. Bids were received March 19 and this will be a joint contract with work to be performed on three other roadways.
• Love Lake Road from County Road 126 to the north end in the First Assessment District north of Baxter. The roadway will receive a bituminous overlay for the entire length. Bids were received on March 19 and this will be a joint contract with work to be performed on three other roadways.
• Seal Coat Program. Annually, about 10 miles of roadway receive a bituminous chips seal as a preventative measure to prolong pavement life. In 2014, the four-lane section of County Road 117 from Highway 371 to CSAH 45 and CSAH 2 from Koering Road to CSAH 45 will receive the treatment. This will be a joint contract with the cities of Baxter and Breezy Point, where numerous roads will also be seal coated.
• Curve Chevron Signing. A project to install curve chevron signs on more than 40 roadways to enhance safety is planned. This is phase three of a systematic approach to providing this improvement and will result in all paved roadways on the county system having been addressed. Curve chevron signs have been proven to be an effective tool in improving safety related to run-off-the-road crashes, the county reported.
• Annual Pavement Marking Contract. Each year about 3 million linear feet of pavement markings are placed on county roadways. This is a county-wide project and consists of center line and edge line striping.
Previous projects were reported for county highways 3, 8, 28, 48 and county roads 102 and 117.
Information on the 2014 projects may be found on the county website at http://crowwing.us/index.aspx?=149.