Weather Forecast


Peck draws 33 months in prison

Crosslake resident Bruce Peck is returning to prison. 

Peck, 68, was sentenced Thursday to 33 months in prison and ordered to pay $1,154 in fines, fees and restitution for crimes of forging documents belonging to family members and stealing items from a sister’s property. 

It will be Peck’s second prison term. In 2001, he was sentenced to 97 months in federal prison when a jury found him guilty of 80 counts of tax fraud.

On Dec. 9, a Crow Wing County jury found Peck guilty of five counts of felony aggravated forgery, one count of felony receiving stolen property, two counts of felony theft and one count of third-degree burglary. Two charges were dismissed. 

According to court documents, Peck forged family members’ names on vehicle, trailer and watercraft registrations in order to transfer the property to himself; and he broke into a pole building in Crosslake belonging to his sister and stole several items. 

On Thursday, Peck was sentenced by Crow Wing County Judge Erik Askegaard to 33 months for the charge of felony third-degree burglary. Peck must serve at least two-thirds of the sentence, or 22 months, in prison and the remainder on supervised release. 

Peck also was sentenced to 24 months in prison for each of five counts of felony aggravated forgery, with those sentences to run concurrent with the 33-month sentence for felony third-degree burglary.

Sentences were not handed down by Askegaard for the charges of felony theft and felony receiving stolen property, but the convictions will remain part of Peck’s criminal record. 

Peck was remanded into the custody of the Minnesota Department of Corrections to be transported to prison. 

In October, while campaigning as a candidate for the Crosslake City Council, Peck told the Dispatch that he guaranteed the charges would be dropped because the property in question belonged to him. As one of three candidates for two open council seats, Peck lost the election after receiving only 15.5 percent of the vote. 

After being found guilty by a jury in December, Peck told the Dispatch his trial was a “turkey shoot” and he would appeal the convictions. He maintained the property in question belonged to him.

MATT ERICKSON may be reached at or 855-5857.