This was Brainerd- Jan. 9
20 years ago (1991)
By order of the county court, Crow Wing County Attorney Jack Graham has three temporary assistants. Judges Clint Wyant and Bob Kautz signed orders appointing Hugh Cameron, Robert Polzak and John Sausen as temporary employees.
30 years ago (1981)
Eighth grader Crystal Savage won all five events and Brainerd Warriors won the triangular gymnastics meet against St. Cloud Cathedral and Moorhead. "We had a 1-2-3 finish on floor exercise," said Brainerd coach Kaye Edgeton.
40 years ago (1971)
Sale of the Land O' Lakes Café on S. 6th Street to Les Boeder of St. Peter, was announced today by owners George Drake and George Tsenes, who opened the restaurant in 1940. Boeder's parents had several cafes in Brainerd over the years.
60 years ago (1951)
A free throw by Brainerd's high scoring center, Jim Smith, with two minutes remaining, gave the Warrior's a 37-36 win over Eveleth before 1,500 local fans. Smith led scoring for both teams with 22 points.
80 years ago (1931)
Marauders of the North American Beaver Ranch at Pillager broke into a summer cottage near Brainerd after the raid, skinned the 17 animals they had clubbed to death, and piled the carcasses under a tree. Two boys made the discovery while hunting nearby.
100 years ago (1911)
Farmers along the south end of the 13th Street road met this morning at the Sewell residence to discuss the proposition of having a telephone line in this end of the country. The hoped for line would extend as far south as the creamery.