This was Brainerd - July 27
20 years ago (1992)
Fire this morning destroyed the lodge and laundromat buildings at McGuire’s Piney Ridge Lodge on Whitefish Lake. The lodge, one of the oldest in Minnesota, was built in 1910 and 1911. It housed the resort office, kitchen, dining room, pub and gift shop.
30 years ago (1982)
The theft of lug nuts from a car in rural Brainerd sparked accidental damage here, said the sheriff’s office. The man told deputies that thieves took lug nuts off one wheel on his car. Unaware, he drove the car and sheared off the wheel pins.
40 years ago (1972)
While the main flood crisis has passed for Crow Wing County, attention this morning shifted to Mille Lacs Lake, where rising water is causing heavy damage. Seven resorts, 31 homes, two motels and two marinas have suffered heavy damage near Garrison.
60 years ago (1952)
Jim Gardner, recognized as one of the finest athletes produced in Brainerd, has added a new chapter to his fame through his recent receipt of the Bronze Star for heroism in the Korean fighting. 1LT Gardner “distinguished himself in action on Hill 758.”
80 years ago (1932)
Roy Zierke has completed the organization of a detective agency headquartered at 510 Laurel Street. He is a former chief of police and a detective for the railroad. He and his staff will patrol lake properties to combat burglaries during the winter months.
100 years ago (1912)
Work is progressing favorably at the power house and change house at the Barrows mine, with the latter almost completed. Eighty miners are employed at the present time. The town hall is almost complete and six carloads of brick have arrived to build the bank.