This was Brainerd - Oct. 26
20 years ago (1992)
(Photo) Brainerd School Board member Jan Moran, co-chair of a fund drive to recondition Tornstrom Auditorium’s 984 seats, shows an example of what the upholstered, padded and repainted chairs would look like. The fund drive starts Nov. 1.
30 years ago (1982)
The possible cost of delivering a gallon of unfluoridated water to each city resident who requests it was deliberated by the Water & Light board. The city council passed a resolution Oct. 4th that made this a condition of fluoridating the Brainerd water supply.
40 years ago (1972)
The stage was set for another round in the battle over establishing a 110-unit campground on Nokay Lake. A township resident sent a letter to the board of commissioners requesting a rehearing, even though the county board had approved the campground.
60 years ago (1952)
William McCollough, chair of the Salvation Army fund drive, announced that campaign headquarters will open in the mayor’s office at city hall today. Mrs. Al Mraz will be in charge of the office. McCollough said the campaign goal is to raise $5,000.
80 years ago (1932)
Jay Garceau, 22-year-old Crosby youth and airplane pilot, today admitted that while he likes to fly, highways still have their place. Taking off from the Brainerd airport, Garceau developed engine trouble and had to put down on Highway 2, just south of Riverton.
100 years ago (1912)
John H. Ley, the St. Cloud directory man, who is compiling the first directory of the Cuyuna Range, estimates the population of Crosby at 1,750. He estimates Deerwood’s population at 873 and that of Barrows at 125.