This was Brainerd - Jan. 27
20 years ago (1994)
Klatches that come to the Corner Café for coffee and conversation will have to find a new gathering spot after Friday. The small café that serves up down-home meals at the corner of 8th and Washington has been sold to make way for an expansion of Tower Motors.
30 years ago (1984)
Coach Dave Maras’ Warrior gymnasts, 7th ranked in Class AA this week, made a big move toward the conference crown this week. They won a triangular meet over defending champion Willmar and over St. Cloud Apollo. Scores were 128.65, 123.7 and 98.15.
40 years ago (1974)
(Photo) Smiles and roses adorned the stage at Tornstrom Auditorium as Jackie Arveson, daughter of the Norm Arvesons, was crowned Miss Brainerd 1974. Also shown are outgoing Miss Brainerd, Kathy Lord, and Sue Hobson and Sue Peters, runners-up.
60 years ago (1954)
Quam’s 66 and Cole’s Sports Shop registered YMCA City Basketball League wins. Quam’s rolled over the VFW team 53-25 and Cole’s stopped YMCA 34-22. Jensen, Samuelson and Peterson led Quam’s with 16, 10 and 13 points, respectively.
80 years ago (1934)
A special city council committee for regulating and licensing of hard liquor is recommending $500 for an “on sale” license and $200 for an “off sale” license. The regulation would provide for no licenses to be located within 300 feet of a school.
100 years ago (1914)
Employees of the water and light department exhibited surprise in the condition of a section of white pine water pipe dug up while repairing a main near 4th St. The wooden pipe, banded with steel hoops, was laid 35 years ago and is in excellent shape.