AMATEUR BASEBALL: Shepherd's homer helps Lightning slam Blue Jays
Shepherd’s homer helps Lightning slam Blue Jays
UPSALA — Bronson Shepherd’s grand slam powered the Nisswa Lightning past the Upsala Blue Jays 13-3 in a Victory League game Sunday.
Highlights of Sunday’s other games:
• The Randall Cubs edged the Fort Ripley Rebels 8-7 in 11 innings, scoring on a wild pitch in the top of the 11th.
• Lance Herbst singled in the bottom of the 11th to give the Cuyuna Range Miners a 6-5 win over the St. Mathias Devils.
• Reed Voit hit three home runs as the Avon Lakers hammered the Pierz Bulldogs 26-1. Voit hit two home runs in the sixth and added another blast in the seventh. He finished with nine RBIs. Avon scored 12 runs in the sixth and 10 in the seventh.
• Scott Janson limited Opole to an infield single in the first and pitched a complete game as Lastrup blanked the Bears 3-0.
• The Pierz Brewers defeated the St. Stephen Saints 9-3.
• The Harding Dinosaurs beat the Buckman Billygoats 6-3.
Additional details will appear in Tuesday’s Dispatch.
Nisswa 12, St. Mathias 5
NISSWA — Mark Germain had three hits and drove in five runs as the Nisswa Lightning beat the St. Mathias Devils 12-5 Saturday.
The Lightning had dropped four of their previous five games to fall into a last-place tie in the North Division.
In addition to his first-inning RBI double, Germain had 2-run singles in the fourth and seventh innings. Jason Roepke had two hits and drove in three Nisswa runs.
Jake Francis had two hits and scored three runs, Brad Waytashek had two hits and Zach Heidmann had two hits, including an RBI double and was hit by a pitch twice to lead St. Mathias.
Brett Cloutier pitched a complete game for the Lightning. He walked two and struck out four.
Brandon Owen and Zach Heidmann each tossed four innings for the Devils, with Owen suffering the loss.
St. Mathias 5 11 2
Nisswa 12 14 2
WP: Brett Cloutier. LP: Brandon Owen.
PIERZ — Derek Thielen’s 2-run double in the bottom of the eighth helped the Holdingford Express nip the Pierz Bulldogs 10-8 Saturday.
Thielen finished with three hits, including two doubles, and drove in five runs. He also pitched a complete game, striking out eight.
Pete Herman doubled and drove in four runs for the Bulldogs, who also received two hits each from Craig Luberts and Paul Herman.
Holdingford 10 9 4
Pierz Bulldogs 8 9 3
WP: Derek Thielen. LP: Preston Loidolt.
Freeport 10, Nisswa 5
NISSWA — A 6-run top of the first helped the Freeport Black Sox to a 10-5 win over the Nisswa Lightning Friday night.
The Black Sox ripped three doubles in the top of the first and Carter Sawyer hit a 3-run homer.
Nate Winter went 8.2 innings for Freeport as the Lightning scored two runs and loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. The Black Sox summoned Mike Frericks from the bullpen and he got a strikeout to end the game.
Lincoln Haugen and Chad Hess each had three hits each for Freeport. Sawyer added a double and four RBIs.
Morgan Shepherd had three hits and drove in two runs and Tyler Wittwer homered for the Lightning.
Freeport 10 12 0
Nisswa 5 13 2
WP: Nate Winter. Sv: Mike Frericks. LP: Jason Roepke.