St. Paul Pioneer Press
FOREST LAKE, Minn. -- Hunter Houle came from a snowmobile racing family. His father, brothers, uncle and grandfathers all raced. And from an early age, the Forest Lake teenager knew he wanted to follow in their footsteps. “Hunter started wearing a race helmet when he was a 2-year-old,” said his father, Steve Houle. “He insisted on wearing a helmet to bed at night.”
BLAINE - Blaine residents were without water to drink or bathe Sunday morning as city officials scrambled to restore an interruption described as “a city-wide loss of water.” Residents were instructed to boil drinking water and classes were canceled at six schools for Monday, including Blaine High School. Officials said the cause of the disruption was still a mystery. Early indications were that it did not appear to be a water main break, said Mayor Tom Ryan.
MINNEAPOLIS - One man was dead and a woman was injured by gunfire in downtown Minneapolis early Sunday morning, authorities said. Police responded to reports of gunfire on the 300 block of Third Avenue North at about 2:19 a.m. Officers arrived to find two adult victims suffering from gunshot wounds. The male victim was pronounced dead at the scene. The female victim was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis and was being treated for what was described as a non-life threatening injury.
MINNEAPOLIS -- A Minneapolis man has pleaded guilty to fatally shooting his neighbor last summer following a dispute over a broken lawnmower. Edward Frank Holzinger, 61, pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree intentional murder in the Aug. 9 killing of Bruce Wayne Brown, 47, the Hennepin County attorney’s office announced Friday, Jan. 6. According to the criminal complaint, the two had been feuding for days after Holzinger lent the neighbor his lawnmower and then accused him of returning it broken, witnesses told police.
MINNEAPOLIS—Macy's Inc. said Wednesday that its landmark downtown Minneapolis store on Nicollet Mall will close for good in late March. The property, the original Dayton's department store, was sold to 601W Cos., a real estate investment firm in New York. The purchase price was not disclosed. The plan is to redevelop the building into office space on the upper floors and retail on the street and skyway levels, according to a Macy's news release. The transaction is expected to close this month.
SHAFER TOWNSHIP - A Chisago County man was charged with assault Thursday after police say he shot two men who were trying to push a vehicle out of a ditch near his home earlier this week. Tony James Vondelinde, 54, allegedly yelled at the men to get off his property before firing a shotgun at them, striking one man in the face and chest. The incident happened about 9:15 p.m. Tuesday, court documents say.
LAKE ELMO - Ryan Mathis took to basketball at a young age. The young Woodbury man proudly wore the No. 24 for the East Ridge High School Raptors until his graduation in 2014. Then it was off to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where he studied landscape architecture. On Monday, his life was cut short. Shortly before 3 p.m., Mathis, 21, apparently lost control of the car he was driving near Lake Elmo Park Reserve.
ST. PAUL - Washington and Ramsey counties are the greenest in the metropolitan Minnesota area, according to one measure of environmentally friendly practices. And they are poised to get even greener, as they consider plans to send less waste to landfills and boost recycling rates.
ST. PAUL - This year is going down as the wettest year on record in Minneapolis-St. Paul, tracing back to when the National Weather Service started measuring rain and snowfall in 1871. It was already a soggy year, then more than an inch of rain fell on Christmas Day. “That’s what catapulted us into the record books,” said Tony Zaleski, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Chanhassen.
ST. PAUL - A Christmas Eve fire started by unattended candles rendered a home in St. Paul’s Summit-University neighborhood uninhabitable. The Dec. 24 fire broke out at a residence in the 500 block of Mackubin Street. St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard said the family lit some candles on a hutch in the living room and left for dinner at a neighbor’s. The candles likely set some nearby holiday greenery on fire. When the family returned shortly after 10 p.m., the fire had spread through the house.