Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

This Was Brainerd - April 7

Chicago Tavern on Gilbert Lake circa 1938-1943. Dancing and food. Al LaBarre was the owner. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.

APRIL 7 

  • 20 years ago (1999)

After an exhaustive review that included an outcry from the business community, the Baxter City Council passed a new landscape ordinance with major revisions from its first proposal. The percent of land required to be landscaped dropped from 15 percent to 12 percent, and less in the industrial park.

  • 30 years ago (1989)

(Photo) Monday's Fine Arts banquet saw a number of students receive awards for artistic achievement. Cleo Kuelbs received a special award when the Brainerd school district honored her for years of service as a music teacher and for support of arts throughout the community.

  • 40 years ago (1979)

The city's financial participation in the fight against fluoridation of Brainerd's water supply came to an end last night when the council voted unanimously not to spend $15,000 to continue the battle in federal court. The council did agree to lend its name to a court action if privately funded.

  • 60 years ago (1959)

Visibility dropped to less than a half-mile in Brainerd today as one of the worst dust and sand storms in years swept through. Fire danger was extremely high with low humidity and 45 mph winds. At Gull Lake, residents couldn't see across the lake.

  • 80 years ago (1939)

By a one-vote margin, the state senate passed a bill that would outlaw roadside taverns from selling 3.2 beer. Fishing resorts and golf clubs are an exception. The highways around Brainerd are lined with such taverns, and many would be put out of business if the law passes.

  • 100 years ago (1919)

The sleet storm and high winds raised havoc with both telephone and telegraph lines, largely between Brainerd and Minneapolis, though a half-mile of telephone poles met their doom between Aitkin and Deerwood. Telegraph had to be routed from the Twin Cities to Duluth and then to Brainerd.