20 years ago (2000)
Area fire engines that were prepared to fight fires in the Boundary Waters will instead fight a fire blazing in the Black Hills. Coordinating with the DNR, engines from Garrison, Aitkin, Clarissa, Pine River, Motley and two from Crosby headed to a 62,000 acre blaze near Custer, S.D. Three firefighters man each engine.
30 years ago (1990)
The Warrior girls' swim team opened its season with a crushing 116-69 win over Thief River Falls. Shane Kieffer was a double winner in the 200 and 500 yard freestyles, as Brainerd won 10 of 12 events. A new event this season, the 200 free relay, meant Brainerd set a pool record with their time of 1:53.60.
40 years ago (1980)
In the second drug robbery here in a month, a bandit armed with a .45 caliber pistol robbed the Service Drug store in the Tyrol Hills Shopping Center last night. As in the earlier robbery at St. Joseph's Hospital, the robber knew exactly what he wanted, asking for Class A and Class II drugs, syringes and specific pills. He got $2,000 in drugs and $2,000 cash.
60 years ago (1960)
The Brainerd school board's auction sale of 21 rural school buildings and contents brought in a total of $19,226, less the auctioneer's commissions of four percent. A few buildings were set aside for purchase by civic groups. The Fort Ripley school was held back as the final bid of $1,500 didn't quite meet the minimum of $1,600.
80 years ago (1940)
With Pres. Roosevelt signing the National Guard Bill, rumors still persist that Brainerd's 34th Tank Corps will be going to train at Camp Lewis, Wash. Approximately a dozen men of the 75 enlisted here may be allowed to drop out as they are married or have other dependents. Another four or five are still in high school with status uncertain.
100 years ago (1920)
Without any civic ceremonies of any kind, but marking an epoch in Brainerd history, the barricades were taken down by the contractors and the new cement paving on Kingwood Street opened. In minutes the street swarmed with traffic, enjoying smooth running over an area that used to look like the battle fields of France.