20 years ago (2000)
A Brainerd man, 45, was arrested after assaulting a Brainerd police officer at the Brainerd Public Library, stabbing the officer in the face with a screwdriver. The man was being arrested on a previous assault charge. Records show the man was also arrested last year after pulling a knife on a minister at the local soup kitchen.
30 years ago (1990)
The county has spent more than $2 million on solid waste policy in the past five years, but has not yet faced the big-ticket items. The county is moving to permit a new $8-10 million lined landfill, but is currently hauling 70 tons per day to McLoed County to extend the life of the current landfill until July 1991.
40 years ago (1980)
In a document filed in District Court today, county attorney Steve Rathke said “The time for talking is over,” as he sought court action against 15 people he claims “financially profited” from the Pyramid money game he recently shut down. Further, it appears a group of 40 people who lost money in the game say they will sue the winners in court.
60 years ago (1960)
Illness and death among cattle in this area were not caused by chemicals used in weed spraying as many farmers suspected, said the Minn. Dept. of Agriculture. Neither of the two weed sprays being used here are poisonous. The likely causes are prussic acid, nitrate or corn stalk poisoning, all of which are linked to drought conditions.
80 years ago (1940)
Effective today, Brainerd's National Guard unit, the 34th Tank Corps, will be known as Co. A of the 194th Tank Battalion, according to Capt. E. B. Miller, commanding officer. Other tank corps of the 194th are located in St. Joseph, Mo.; San Francisco, Calif. and Seattle, Washington.
100 years ago (1920)
Indian agents raided a still operating on the banks of the Big Pine River in Mission Twp. The 30-gallon copper still could run 100 gallons per week and there were 325 gallons of raisin mash on hand. The still was in the basement of a cabin with a concealed trapdoor. The stove pipe of the still was piped into the stove on the main floor.