20 years ago (2001)
A proposed 24-lane bowling center, to be located on Hwy 25 just SE of Brainerd, got a boost from Brainerd's city council, which approved a $75,000 loan with interest at 7 percent for five years. The center, to be called Jack's House, will be located north of Radco and will feature a lounge and restaurant.
30 years ago (1991)
(Photo) Two technicians stand on one of the massive German-made presses that will make parallel strand lumber at the new MacMillan Bloedel plant near Deerwood. The $75 million lumber plant is scheduled to start production on Sept. 30. The company will merge with another firm a day later to become Trus-Joist MacMillan.
40 years ago (1981)
Two attorneys, Tom Ryan representing demoted Brainerd police chief Wayne Hasty, and D.A. Larson, representing the city of Brainerd gave oral arguments before a three-judge district court panel. The panel will also review thousands of pages of testimony as they decide if Hasty should get his job back. A decision may take several weeks.
60 years ago (1961)
A state highway dept. promise to improve visibility of the stop lights at 8th and Washington Streets was discussed at the city council meeting. Recent Dispatch editorials criticizing the lights will lead to warning signs placed at each approach, the use of larger red lights and the use of higher intensity bulbs.
80 years ago (1941)
A call for six more men registered at the Brainerd employment office and accepted for positions building the Army base in Newfoundland, Canada, has been received. This is in addition to the three men called last week and others earlier. Carpenters are making $66 per week, truck drivers $46, stenographers $45 and bulldozer operators $65.
100 years ago (1921)
The splendid portrait of the late Judge Holland, painted in oil by Col. Freeman Thorpe of Hubert, has been hung over the judge's bench in the new court house. Both natural and ground glass light brings out the best in both day and night. Another example of Thorpe's great work is the portrait of Gen. U.S. Grant, currently on display here at the Anderson studio.