20 years ago (2001)

The 33rd Annual Brunch with Santa will be held Dec. 1 from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Brainerd High School cafeteria. Brunch includes French toast sticks, sausage, juice and coffee. Cost is $3.50 for adults and $2.50 for kids 5-12. Children can have their picture taken with Santa and tell him what's on their Christmas list.

30 years ago (1991)

In a surprise move, the Brainerd Public Utilities Commission dropped its quest to move the Water and Light Dept. to property it owns in Baxter next to the wastewater treatment plant. For months the PUC has been trying to get approval from both Brainerd and Baxter councils, but will now seek a site in Brainerd.

Newsletter signup for email alerts

40 years ago (1981)

State Sen. Don Samuelson told Brainerd residents last night that the only glimmer of hope in Minnesota's dismal financial picture is “every other state is in the same position we are.” The state's problems became Brainerd's with loss of local aids. He said legislators are evenly divided over the solution, either more government cuts or raise taxes.

60 years ago (1961)

Amid our busy lives, Ben Barbeau, 93, may have escaped our attention. Each month he would walk from his one-room bungalow to the phone company office to pay his bill. The staff became attached to the “little old man.” On his 93rd birthday they brought him a cake and a dress shirt as a present. He beamed with delight, but the next day he passed away. He wore the dress shirt for his funeral.

80 years ago (1941)

The blacktop controversy in Northeast will come to a head in a mass meeting Nov. 27 at the Lowell School. Residents there are upset with the condition of the streets and say they shouldn't have to pay assessments until the streets are put in proper condition. The meeting will be chaired by two city aldermen, and the city engineer will attend.

100 years ago (1921)

Northeast Brainerd is fairly reveling in light, with ornamental light posts topped with large globes radiating light. There are five such lamp posts on “the fill” and three on each block going east on Kindred Street from Gillis to 3rd Ave. The money for the project was initially raised at a carnival in August, 1917. The funds, deposited at interest, came to $497.