20 years ago (2002)
Nearly 80 people squeezed into the Lake Edward town hall last night to attend a marathon meeting that went from 7 to 11:30 p.m. It included a little hammering on the table to encourage one person to talk at a time. The discussion was over whether the township should continue its own planning committee and comp plan.
30 years ago (1992)
The BCC Raiders followed their first baseball win of the year with a strange loss in its second game. The Raiders loaded the bases in the bottom of the 11th and Mike Lenarz grounded to short, knocking in the apparent winner. But umpires ruled he hadn't properly reported as a pinch hitter, disallowed the run and BCC lost 6-5.
40 years ago (1982)
In the largest turnout in Brainerd Junior High School track history, 190 boys and girls have reported to coaches Joe Rezac, Barb Owens and Jeff Devaney for the 1982 spring season. Opening meet is April 20 with co-ed dual meets against C-I.
60 years ago (1962)
The school board last night adopted a resolution which calls for consolidation of the Brainerd school district with the East Gull Lake district. The merger had already been approved by the State Education Department. Now, voters of East Gull Lake must make the final approval.
80 years ago (1942)
Thirty-six thousand American and Filipino troops, exhausted by short rations, disease and lack of relief, were overwhelmed on the Bataan peninsula today by a fresh and numerically Japanese force. Sec. of War Stimson was unable to say how many of the men were killed, captured or wounded.
100 years ago (1922)
Despite reports from Twin Cities newspapers that the Stoner Dam on the Crow Wing River had gone out. A team of 60 men have saved it thus far. The crest of water and ice was 25 percent higher than any record. Sand bags, trees, brush and rocks were used to plug a gap on the dam's west wing.
8/46: First shipment of iron ore on the Cuyuna Range from the Kennedy Mine.
27/46: People in the Northern Pacific Railroad depot waiting area, circa 1910. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
28/46: Chicago Tavern on Gilbert Lake circa 1938-1943. Dancing and food. Al LaBarre was the owner. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area' published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
29/46: State Champion was this Brainerd amateur baseball team of 1894, which later saw two of those players advance to the major leagues. Pictured here are (front row) Frary, catcher; Phyle, rf-pit.; Howe, pit., rf; C. McCarthy, 1st; (middle row) Burgum, shortstop, W.P. Buckley, manager; Hill; 3rd; (back row) W. McCarthy, cf; Blandy, lf; Warner, 2nd. Source: 'Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971'. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1971.
35/46: Brainerd Fire Department. Dispatch archives
36/46: W.E. Lively, the hustling Maxwell auto dealer, has sold a Maxwell to Joseph Johnson. Pictured is a Maxwell Mascotte Touring 1911 by Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1526033
37/46: This truck belonged to Silas Hall's Transfer Line just after World War I. It was used for hauling freight from the NP (Northern Pacific Railroad) depot to stores around town as well as for other kinds of moving. The picture was taken in front of the railroad freight office. Before the truck, Silas Hal used teams of horses and wagons which he kept at 415 Main (now Washington Street). Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
38/46: The 1916 Brainerd police force, pictured here, included the following men: The plain clothes men at either end were Jack Brandt (left) and Ted Nesheim; (front row, left to right) Charles Varner, chief, and Tom Templeton. (Rear, left to right) Erick Graff, Hans Saude and August Swanson. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
39/46: This building at Seventh and Laurel, still a well-known landmark in Brainerd, was the home of the Citizen's State Bank, from 1909 to 1927, when the bank then moved to quarters across the street. This picture was taken in 1913. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
40/46: The "fill" grounds skating rink, located near Franklin Junior High School, winter of 1938-39. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
41/46: 60 years ago (1959) (Photo) Robert Dobson, 15, is interested in how long he can keep a kite aloft. He launched a kite at 3 p.m. yesterday near the court house and it's still flying despite a near disaster when a truck caught the kite string. The weatherman says it will remain windy today. Photo illustration, Metro Creative Graphics, Inc.
42/46: Brainerd Dispatch archives
43/46: The state hospital campus on Highway 18.
44/46: Santa takes a ride during a Christmas parade in downtown Brainerd.
45/46: Children crowd around Santa during downtown Brainerd Christmas festivities.