20 years ago (2002)
The Brainerd EDA, on a 5-1 vote, has approved the issuing of $1.3 million in bonds for renovations to city buildings and new construction. Projects include remodeling the former Water & Light building into a new police department, remodel the current fire hall and build a fire station on Mill Ave. The PUC commission will add $2.87 million to the bond revenues.
30 years ago (1992)
Mesaba Aviation announced today that the Brainerd-Crow Wing County Airport will be among the first airports in its route system to get service with its new 37-seat de Havilland Dash 8 aircraft. It will be used on the flight leaving Minneapolis at 9:25 a.m. - arriving Brainerd at 10: 15 a.m.
40 years ago (1982)
(Adv.) Enjoy Our Italian Smorgasbord! Serving Fri.-Sat.- Sun. from 5 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Our all new saloon and restaurant will feature: Lasagna, Ravioli, Stuffed Shells, Chicken, Ribs and Meatballs. Plus, cheese, fruit and salad bar. Only $6.95, and adults get a glass of wine. Sourdough Sam's – across from BIR on Hwy 371.
60 years ago (1962)
(Photo) Drivers of these five motorcycles found one way of cutting down on parking costs by paying just a penny each to park in one parallel parking spot, instead of the nickel a car has to put in the meter. However, if they let the meter run out, they'll get five parking tickets instead of just one.
80 years ago (1942)
Another 122 county selective service men left Brainerd yesterday by bus for Ft. Snelling to be inducted into the U.S. Army. The county now has more than 1,400 men in the armed services of the United States. Of those, about 900 were called up through the selective service system.
100 years ago (1922)
Joe Hennen, born in Pierz and a hard worker in lumber camps and log drives on the rivers, got in early on Cuyuna Range mining leases. He traded some land here for land in Texas he thought wasn't worth much. But, before he sold it, he visited Texas and found the land surrounded by oil rigs. He sold a lease for $72,000 cash and one-eighth of the oil produced, and it's a gusher.
8/46: First shipment of iron ore on the Cuyuna Range from the Kennedy Mine.
27/46: People in the Northern Pacific Railroad depot waiting area, circa 1910. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
28/46: Chicago Tavern on Gilbert Lake circa 1938-1943. Dancing and food. Al LaBarre was the owner. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area' published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
29/46: State Champion was this Brainerd amateur baseball team of 1894, which later saw two of those players advance to the major leagues. Pictured here are (front row) Frary, catcher; Phyle, rf-pit.; Howe, pit., rf; C. McCarthy, 1st; (middle row) Burgum, shortstop, W.P. Buckley, manager; Hill; 3rd; (back row) W. McCarthy, cf; Blandy, lf; Warner, 2nd. Source: 'Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971'. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1971.
35/46: Brainerd Fire Department. Dispatch archives
36/46: W.E. Lively, the hustling Maxwell auto dealer, has sold a Maxwell to Joseph Johnson. Pictured is a Maxwell Mascotte Touring 1911 by Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1526033
37/46: This truck belonged to Silas Hall's Transfer Line just after World War I. It was used for hauling freight from the NP (Northern Pacific Railroad) depot to stores around town as well as for other kinds of moving. The picture was taken in front of the railroad freight office. Before the truck, Silas Hal used teams of horses and wagons which he kept at 415 Main (now Washington Street). Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
38/46: The 1916 Brainerd police force, pictured here, included the following men: The plain clothes men at either end were Jack Brandt (left) and Ted Nesheim; (front row, left to right) Charles Varner, chief, and Tom Templeton. (Rear, left to right) Erick Graff, Hans Saude and August Swanson. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
39/46: This building at Seventh and Laurel, still a well-known landmark in Brainerd, was the home of the Citizen's State Bank, from 1909 to 1927, when the bank then moved to quarters across the street. This picture was taken in 1913. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
40/46: The "fill" grounds skating rink, located near Franklin Junior High School, winter of 1938-39. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
41/46: 60 years ago (1959) (Photo) Robert Dobson, 15, is interested in how long he can keep a kite aloft. He launched a kite at 3 p.m. yesterday near the court house and it's still flying despite a near disaster when a truck caught the kite string. The weatherman says it will remain windy today. Photo illustration, Metro Creative Graphics, Inc.
42/46: Brainerd Dispatch archives
43/46: The state hospital campus on Highway 18.
44/46: Santa takes a ride during a Christmas parade in downtown Brainerd.
45/46: Children crowd around Santa during downtown Brainerd Christmas festivities.