20 years ago (2002)
(Photo) The 6-foot-tall statue of Paul Bunyan that stood next to his trusty companion Babe the Blue Ox for 70 years in Brainerd, was vandalized outside the Brainerd Chamber building under the water tower. The statue lost its right arm that had waved to passersby. Volunteers will attempt a reconstruction.
30 years ago (1992)
Tom Zenanko of Brooklyn Center was first and Gary Roach of Merrifield finished second in the In-Fisherman Pro-Am at Lake Oahe in S. Dakota. Zenanko caught a total weight of 66.26 pounds and first prize money of $20,000, while Roach caught 65.82 pounds for $12,000.
40 years ago (1982)
(Adv.) We have a variety of accounts for you! Try our Super IRA with an 18-month term and a yield of 12.760% interest. Or, try our Best-of-Everything Account that requires a minimum deposit of $500 but earns 14.00% interest over 30 months. First Federal Savings and Loan – Brainerd.
60 years ago (1962)
The city council last night awarded contracts to two low bidders for bonds totaling $250,000. The $180,000 contract for general improvements will pay interest at 2.775 percent. The $70,000 bond for the old post office lot will pay interest at 3.344 percent. Both are for 10 years.
80 years ago (1942)
The city went through the month of July without a single fire alarm or dollar of loss due to fire, according to Fire Chief Frank Fuller. Fuller noted that there were also no fire alarms in the month of July for the years 1925 and 1937, as well.
100 years ago (1922)
After unavoidable delay, the vestry of St. Paul's Episcopal Church by unanimous vote ordered that the present church building be torn down and a new church be erected at once. The current building was the first church in Brainerd. The new church will cost $28,000. Only the basement will be constructed now due to the lateness of the season.
8/46: First shipment of iron ore on the Cuyuna Range from the Kennedy Mine.
27/46: People in the Northern Pacific Railroad depot waiting area, circa 1910. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
28/46: Chicago Tavern on Gilbert Lake circa 1938-1943. Dancing and food. Al LaBarre was the owner. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area' published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
29/46: State Champion was this Brainerd amateur baseball team of 1894, which later saw two of those players advance to the major leagues. Pictured here are (front row) Frary, catcher; Phyle, rf-pit.; Howe, pit., rf; C. McCarthy, 1st; (middle row) Burgum, shortstop, W.P. Buckley, manager; Hill; 3rd; (back row) W. McCarthy, cf; Blandy, lf; Warner, 2nd. Source: 'Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971'. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1971.
35/46: Brainerd Fire Department. Dispatch archives
36/46: W.E. Lively, the hustling Maxwell auto dealer, has sold a Maxwell to Joseph Johnson. Pictured is a Maxwell Mascotte Touring 1911 by Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1526033
37/46: This truck belonged to Silas Hall's Transfer Line just after World War I. It was used for hauling freight from the NP (Northern Pacific Railroad) depot to stores around town as well as for other kinds of moving. The picture was taken in front of the railroad freight office. Before the truck, Silas Hal used teams of horses and wagons which he kept at 415 Main (now Washington Street). Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
38/46: The 1916 Brainerd police force, pictured here, included the following men: The plain clothes men at either end were Jack Brandt (left) and Ted Nesheim; (front row, left to right) Charles Varner, chief, and Tom Templeton. (Rear, left to right) Erick Graff, Hans Saude and August Swanson. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
39/46: This building at Seventh and Laurel, still a well-known landmark in Brainerd, was the home of the Citizen's State Bank, from 1909 to 1927, when the bank then moved to quarters across the street. This picture was taken in 1913. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
40/46: The "fill" grounds skating rink, located near Franklin Junior High School, winter of 1938-39. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
41/46: 60 years ago (1959) (Photo) Robert Dobson, 15, is interested in how long he can keep a kite aloft. He launched a kite at 3 p.m. yesterday near the court house and it's still flying despite a near disaster when a truck caught the kite string. The weatherman says it will remain windy today. Photo illustration, Metro Creative Graphics, Inc.
42/46: Brainerd Dispatch archives
43/46: The state hospital campus on Highway 18.
44/46: Santa takes a ride during a Christmas parade in downtown Brainerd.
45/46: Children crowd around Santa during downtown Brainerd Christmas festivities.