20 years ago (2002)
The sound of the train whistle was heard once again last weekend as the “locomotive” of the Rhythm of the Rails musical troupe rolled into the fully restored Lake Hubert station while 200 people cheered. The entertainment and an ice cream social celebrated the return of the station to its 1918 condition.
30 years ago (1992)
The big walleyes are hitting in the area. John Gilman of Illinois caught an 8-3 walleye on a leech at Lake Ada; Josh Augst of Brainerd landed a 9-0 walleye using a leech; and Bill Ehrenberg of Mound caught a 12-0 walleye fishing Upper Whitefish Lake with a leech.
40 years ago (1982)
With the consent of city and county officials, Brainerd will compete with cities statewide for the site of the FAA's new $1 million flight service station. The automated station will consolidate eight small stations currently in the state. A total of 70-90 employees would eventually be needed, with an annual payroll of $1.5 million.
60 years ago (1962)
James Ebert, Route 5, Brainerd, has been awarded the Josephine Merriam scholarship to the Univ. of Minnesota. The scholarship provides full tuition and fees for the next academic year. Ebert was a recent graduate from Washington High School and was named an honor graduate.
80 years ago (1942)
Hundreds of rural residents are expected to bring their collections of salvage material to Brainerd on July 3 to participate in the “Salvage for Victory Day.” Prizes being offered are: $25 war bond for largest load of rubber; $25 war bond for largest load of rubber, iron and rags, plus four smaller prizes of $5.
100 years ago (1922)
Sunday wasn't a quiet day in Brainerd by any means. Safe crackers entered the O'Brien Mercantile store Saturday night and used nitroglycerine to blow the big office safe. They took all the silver, amounting to several hundred dollars and made their escape. Con O'Brien discovered the robbery later in the day when he saw rear doors open.
8/46: First shipment of iron ore on the Cuyuna Range from the Kennedy Mine.
27/46: People in the Northern Pacific Railroad depot waiting area, circa 1910. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
28/46: Chicago Tavern on Gilbert Lake circa 1938-1943. Dancing and food. Al LaBarre was the owner. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area' published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
29/46: State Champion was this Brainerd amateur baseball team of 1894, which later saw two of those players advance to the major leagues. Pictured here are (front row) Frary, catcher; Phyle, rf-pit.; Howe, pit., rf; C. McCarthy, 1st; (middle row) Burgum, shortstop, W.P. Buckley, manager; Hill; 3rd; (back row) W. McCarthy, cf; Blandy, lf; Warner, 2nd. Source: 'Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971'. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1971.
35/46: Brainerd Fire Department. Dispatch archives
36/46: W.E. Lively, the hustling Maxwell auto dealer, has sold a Maxwell to Joseph Johnson. Pictured is a Maxwell Mascotte Touring 1911 by Lars-Göran Lindgren Sweden - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1526033
37/46: This truck belonged to Silas Hall's Transfer Line just after World War I. It was used for hauling freight from the NP (Northern Pacific Railroad) depot to stores around town as well as for other kinds of moving. The picture was taken in front of the railroad freight office. Before the truck, Silas Hal used teams of horses and wagons which he kept at 415 Main (now Washington Street). Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
38/46: The 1916 Brainerd police force, pictured here, included the following men: The plain clothes men at either end were Jack Brandt (left) and Ted Nesheim; (front row, left to right) Charles Varner, chief, and Tom Templeton. (Rear, left to right) Erick Graff, Hans Saude and August Swanson. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
39/46: This building at Seventh and Laurel, still a well-known landmark in Brainerd, was the home of the Citizen's State Bank, from 1909 to 1927, when the bank then moved to quarters across the street. This picture was taken in 1913. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.
40/46: The "fill" grounds skating rink, located near Franklin Junior High School, winter of 1938-39. Source: 'Out of the Woods, A Pictorial History of The Brainerd Lakes Area', Published by The Brainerd Daily Dispatch. Copyright 1994.
41/46: 60 years ago (1959) (Photo) Robert Dobson, 15, is interested in how long he can keep a kite aloft. He launched a kite at 3 p.m. yesterday near the court house and it's still flying despite a near disaster when a truck caught the kite string. The weatherman says it will remain windy today. Photo illustration, Metro Creative Graphics, Inc.
42/46: Brainerd Dispatch archives
43/46: The state hospital campus on Highway 18.
44/46: Santa takes a ride during a Christmas parade in downtown Brainerd.
45/46: Children crowd around Santa during downtown Brainerd Christmas festivities.