ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

This Was Brainerd - March 8

A look through the Brainerd Dispatch archives with Terry McCollough combing the microfilm for tidbits of history through the decades going back to 1922.

0120twb-citizens-bank.jpg
This building at Seventh and Laurel, still a well-known landmark in Brainerd, was the home of the Citizen's State Bank, from 1909 to 1927, when the bank then moved to quarters across the street. This picture was taken in 1913. Source: Brainerd Minnesota 1871 - 1971. Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch.

MARCH 8

20 years ago (2002)

Two basketball seasons are over. The Warrior girls lost for only the seventh time this season, coming up against 4th-ranked Elk River in the Section 8,Class 4A final and losing 61-38. Brainerd's boys also lost to Elk River in their section opener, giving it a great battle but losing 68-63 to the much taller Elks team.

30 years ago (1992)

Warrior wrestler Kirk Hayes was close, but became runner-up at 140 pounds in the state Class AA wrestling tournament when he was edged 5-3 by Jason Melcher of St. Francis. Ironically, it was Hayes who edged Melcher 5-4 last year to take third at state. Brainerd's Jacob Jensen finished fourth at his weight.

ADVERTISEMENT

40 years ago (1982)

Kaye Edgeton, Brainerd gymnastics coach, said โ€œCrystal (Savage) had the crowd in the palm of her hand during her parallel bars routine, and drew wild cheers when she stuck the landing.โ€ Savage excelled in both the prelims and the finals to take the individual uneven bars title at the state Class AA gymnastics meet.

60 years ago (1962)

The Rev. Edward G. Barrow and Rev. B.C. Siewert will open the World Day of Prayer service with the playing of musical chimes at noon tomorrow. Rev. Barrow will play chimes on the carillon bells direct from the courthouse and the Rev. Siewert will play chimes from the First Evangelical Church.

80 years ago (1942)

There are now two ration boards in the county: the first is Board โ€œ18-1' with headquarters in the Iron Exchange Bldg. in Brainerd; the second is โ€œ18-2โ€ located at the armory in Crosby. They will handle the rationing of tires, automobiles and sugar. Sugar ration cards are expected soon.

100 years ago (1922)

The St. Colombo telephone line from Brainerd to Gull Lake, serving a number of summer cottages, has installed the first six miles of standard poles and wire. Dr. J.A. Thabes, chairman of the exchange, is installing a private line for the four doctors who summer there.

ADVERTISEMENT

What To Read Next
Get Local

ADVERTISEMENT